How's your winter so far?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I see a lot of yellowing of the leaves on a lot of oaks this week. The drop should start in 3...2...1.

2. LGL

LGL LawnSite Member

I have multiple accounts dropping oak leaves as well. Did a big clean up job last week and secured the account to a yearly contract. (87 bags!!!) So strange, I have picked up 3 new yearly accounts recently.

3. the 87 bags, is that a commercial property?

We will see the oak leaves drop heavy in about 2 weeks or so. Ours is a little behind you guys in C and N Florida.

4. LGL

LGL LawnSite Member

No, its a good sized residential corner property, they hadn't had a clean up for a couple of years. The prior contractor was blowing the leaves into the beds. I do have a small commercial property with 4 Oak trees that have been dropping thousands of acorns for two months or so, finally this week started to slack up. Spending more time per visit now than in the summer!

5. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Got to love the guys that blow the leaves behind and underneath the shrubs... amateurs!

6. Keith

For me the one lawn with the biggest leaf mess to clean up has an interesting solution. Their back yard has no grass and she wants the leaves back there along the paths that meander through the place. You simply rake them up and move them back there. They actually want all the leaves they can get, so I take them more from other jobs.

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

OK, this morning I am in that pure winter funk. I really do not want to get out that door and go. It should be in the upper 70's to low 80's today...so that is good....just got to shake this funk.

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

You mean this isn't an organic mulch/shrub fert alternative?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

It is for some accounts :p

10. Keith

Hmmmm, looks like the five days of winter are over.

Bets on a long, hot summer?
    Posted via Mobile Device