1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HP boogs on slopes

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Robert Burnham, Apr 6, 2001.

1. Robert Burnham

Robert Burnham LawnSite Member

I recently demo'ed a 48" Lazer HP. The machine had a 18 horsepower Kohler. I really liked the cut and speed but it had trouble with power enough to get up grassy slopes. The tires did not spin, it seems as the hydro's did not have enough power to pull much of a hill. Anyone else have experience with this? PS..All the liquid levels were checked and found to be normal. thanks
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mr. Burnham,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your concern. It is information we receive from people such as yourself that enable us to produce a better machine.
    Was this on a new unit? If everthing is 'right' with the machine, the tires should break free before the unit looses power.
    If this wasn't a new machine, did the engine actually start to bog down, or did it just seem like the hydro system wasn't producing enough power to move the machine up the hill?
    If the engine was bogging down, I would say there is something drawing power from it.
    If the hydro system just didn't seem like it was getting it done, you may want to look at the pump drive belt and idler arm.
    I hope this helps you out. If you have any more questions/concerns don't hesitate to contact us at http://www.exmark.com/TechSupport.htm

3. Robert Burnham

Robert Burnham LawnSite Member

The HP is a demo from a local dealer, the tires did not spin, but the engine did not seem under powered. The machine just did not have to enough to get up hills. This HP has only a few hours on it and all levels were checked before I tried it. thanks
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

do the newer kohler 18 hps have the trottle limiter screw
    or is that something we not suppose to talk about.
    in short check the specs for the 18 versus the 20 kohler
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The hydro motors should not give you any problems on hills. I can spin tires and pull wheelies with mine if I want to.