1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HP Clutch Repair Cost?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SamIV, Oct 8, 2002.

1. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone give me an average cost of the replacement of the clutch on an Exmark HP. Seems everything keeps breaking on me lately. Toro proline cable breaks, trimmer troubles, & just replaced drive belt and hour meter on the HP which has 450 hrs. All of this in the last week. I don't do my own work and this is getting expensive.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Hate to say it Sam, but your in the wrong business if you can't do maintenance and small repairs in this biz. Sure whatever you pay your dealer/shop to do the work is tax deductable, but it's still out of pocket money that you don't seem to have. What are the symptoms of the clutch? What are your engaging/disengaging habits? RPM?

I don't know the book rate on a clutch job on a HP, but a professional shouldn't take more than an hour.
  3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

That's a good reason to start doing your own work. It's like putting money in the bank. Mowers and stuff are easy. Get the parts manual breakdown and spend a little time. My friend can't even change his own oil....... I'l go broke if I didn't do all my own stuff....... It's very rewarding, too........
    Good luck,
  4. SamIV

I do this full time and I'm also a partner in a retail business which also gets a lot of my time, so I really don't have time to do any of my own repair. I do my own simple maintenance though.

My Dealer gives me a loaner on every piece I bring to his shop.Without this I would get real behind.

The clutch works fine when cold, but once it gets hot it does not engage all he time. Have to let it cool then it will work.

5. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I think that I would spend more time bringing my machine out everytime it needed to be fixed and then go picking it up then if I just did the repairs myself. In 8 years I have never had any of my machines worked on, with the exception of 2 repairs that were under warrenty so they costs me nothing.
  6. SamIV

Dropped my HP off at 8:30 am after first cut which is 3 blocks away. Drove off with another identical HP and picked up mine on my lunch break. Dropped the loaner off. The price for the clutch was 156.87 and labor was 22.50 (1/2 hour).

My dealer is about 1/2 mile from my house. I simply don't have the time to do all of my repairs. Can understand all of your advice, but it simply wouldn't work for me.

My dealer takes care of me very well. When I drive up, if the mechanic is not working on another LCO's equipment, he stops what he's doing and takes care of me. Not that I don't agree with all of the advice, just would not work in my case.