HP Hydro drive belt

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MikeLT1Z28, Nov 5, 2003.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Help! I got off my mower to empty the UV today and there was a loud rattling sound and a bad vibration at idle with the brake on. i got back on and accelerated and it was "hopping" so to speak. i jacked it up and started it and saw the hydro to engine tensioner slapping back and forth producing the clanking sound. i shut it down and noticed the belt needs to be replaced (chunks missing all around the belt). It has 830 hours on it and has never been replaced, Lazer Z HP 52" with a 23 kawi (2000 model). any idea if this is my problem? also can you provide me with the OEM part number for the belt? I noticed the tension has a pretty heavy looking spring on it and the deck belt and clutch is below one pulley, do those have to come off too?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike,

Here is how the story goes. When we first made the LHP there were no UltraVacs or hitch kits and life was good. After adding these items we started to see some belt issues. About 320.000 serial # we increased the spring tension and this helped. 2004 units we changed idler arm, belt and spring to improve it even more. All these things helped with belt life.

The biggest issue by far has been GREASE, GREASE, GREASE. Because of this pivots location it is missed all the time. The other issue I have seen is if it was missed a few times the pivot would no longer take grease. Mechanics would have to pull the idler off and reopen the grease hole with a bit.

When we changed designs for 2004 we also made a kit if someone wanted to change their machine. 103-5590 for LHP 52 and 103-5591 for LHP 44/48 cost is about 40 bucks. This kit has a new idler arm, spring and belt. We had to increase the strength of the arm with the increased spring tension. Plus it makes it a lot easier changing the belt out.

Mike to change your belt you need to unplug the clutch, unbolt the clutch strap, and loosen the idler pivot.

Get 65 hoss over there to help you, he's probably slowing down and needs some work to do!!

Thanks, Fred.

3. MikeLT1Z28

i should make him do the work! it's his old mower! lol

actually that bum is in st. louis right now ;) i haven't replaced the belt yet, but i figure after 830 hours it was bound to need a new one anyway. i'll check all the hardware when i change the belt and see if any other stuff needs to be changed yet.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Fred, I see you stood me up on buying drinks at St. Louis. lol

I've had that all off once before, so I'm sure I can help him. I just remember it wasn't very fun.

5. MikeLT1Z28

apparently it was just a momentary little problem or it could have even been the ground i was on. I can say i didn't fix it and it's never done it again. i do need to replace that belt though.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike,

If Fred's diagnosis is correct (I believe it is) than it's possible it will never happen again but unlikely.

For sure I'd get a new belt before spring and pull the idler apart and clean it well with solvent and some emery cloth.

Thanks

Terry