1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HP Laser 2 sided color printer . .. few?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Exact Rototilling, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I'm considering buy this printer @ Costco or direct from HP for less HP 2605dn http://reviews.cnet.com/laser-printers/hp-color-laserjet-2605dn/4505-3159_7-31827234.html

I want a decent 2 sided "Laser" printer mainly for marketing material: flyers, brochures billings etc.

I can buy this printer directly from Hp for $249 w/ free shipping http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...060-15077-236268-1140727-1140731-1140736.html or I can get it from Costco directly for $339 complete with a bullet proof no hassle return policy.

I'm thinking that buying 2nd printer is cheaper than paying for refills.

Any thoughts or input?

2. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Consumer Reports doesn't recommend ANY COLOR LASER printer. Color copies are way below par. Mulit function Inc Jet is a good deal. Print quality if now equal to stand alone printers. Recommended- Canon Pixma MP810, MP830

I have an old LaserJet (1300) that is great for black & white. For color, I have an old PhotoSmart, that screws itys program up using Works & Office. PS 1215 isn't compatible with my new laptop (Vista vs XP)

When you buy a new printer it only comes with a 1/3 full ink tank. The printers are cheap, they plan to make their money on ink.
  3. Exact Rototilling

Thanks for the input.

I've read the reviews of this printer and it is in fact does ship with filled up toner cartridges unlike some of the other printers that are sold as half empty or 1/3 full. I already have an inkjet that I've had for years but inkjet is not acceptable to me since the ink runs when it get wet. Runny Flyers = :hammerhead:

This printer is not top deck for photos but for printing color flyers on heavy paper I'm sure it will work.

The cost and hassle of paying the print store to run off flyers and brochures is a huge negative. I did this when I tried to sell my house FSBO and spent a small fortune on flyers.

So if I buy it from Costco and I don't like how it works or I'm annoyed by it's appearance I can take it back.
  4. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

It sounds like you've thought this through !
  5. Exact Rototilling

Turns I bought the printer at Costco however I missed the deadline for free shipping buying from HP $249 w/ free shipping :cry: a few others also have it for $249 but do charge shipping.

In theory buying another printer vs. buying refills makes economic sense however logistically the box is pretty big and storage is an issue in my small office, house, garage etc.