HP on leaf blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Timbo, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Timbo

Timbo LawnSite Member

I am advertising for leaves for the fall and am about to buy a little wonder leaf blower. The HP for the blowers range from 6-12 HP and the prices differ accordingly. I plan on doing quite a bit of leaf clean-up so I want to get the proper blower. What is the minimum HP of the blower I should be looking for?
    simsy71 likes this.
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I rented an 8 HP last year and it did great until the leaves started getting piled up. I bought a 10 HP this year and it has quite a bit more power. I went with a Billy Goat because of the adjustable shoot.
  3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Hp is part of it the other part is intake pipe size. 10 inch pipes are fine they do clog often enough, 8 inch is unthinkable to me thatÂ’s just a nightmare waiting to happen. I currently have a 12 inch intake pipe its on a 20 hp giant vac and 2 seasons on it now and its clogged fewer times then I have fingers on one of my hands. This spring when I wasn't looking my partner was using it to vac up sod from edging if it can eat that with out a problem its plenty powerful enough to do leaves including wet leaves.
  4. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine is a 8 hp, but sure more would be better, but maybe depends on the extra cost. 8hp dose me well :blob3:
  5. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a 8hp little wonder. I have a much older model to but still works fine and those two have plenty of power to handle anything in front of them. I think that 8 hp would be fine but you probably do more business then me so maybe a 10 would be better.
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The 10 hp Little wonder is heavy. If you have hills you might be better off with the 8. See if you can try them or push them first. I used the jrco blower buggy for my 10 horse's when i had them. I Now have a 6 hp littlewonder its easy to push but for bigger jobs i like the 10's or 8's.
  7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Damm my eye was scratched worse then I thought I swear I saw truck loader hehehe ahh well.
  8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to agree with these guys and say check the areas you are working and go with something in the 8-11 range unless the yards are really big.If you can try to get one with the air filled front wheel and not just the hard plastic.
  9. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

My vote is for the 9hp Little Wonder with the Honda motor.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The 8 hp is the most popular, and is certainly the least hp you want to go with. You can't really go wrong with the 9 hp, either. Anything bigger than that, and you start looking at a fatigue factor that is weighed heavy against the fatigue/power ratio. Yes, you do have more power with the larger units, but again, it is outweighed by the workload - especially with the most common sized jobs that the 8's do fine.