HP ratings for Echo handheld equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jul 18, 2002.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone know the horse power rating for the following Echo engines:

21.1 cc- found on trimmers, blowers etc.
    23.6 cc- found on trimmers, blowers, etc.
    63.3 cc- found on the PB650 blower

I contacted Echo about this but they will not give me an answer.
    Thanks!

2. joed

Can anyone help me?

3. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

Joed,

I can't find that info at all... I looked through all my Echo catalogs that I have... they don't say.... Email them and ask... I'd like to know now...

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

4. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

I believe that a 25cc engine is equivalent to 1.2hp, and 22.5cc is around 1.1hp....

5. joed

Firefighter Dave,

I did e-mail Echo but they told me that they do not release HP rating. Why I don't know. I'll try again.

6. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

Think they may be hiding something? hmmmm?

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

7. joed

Firefighter Dave,

Echo's excuse in not giving their HP ratings was that there was no industry standard in measuring it. So, to give it out would be not be fair to the consumer. I find that hard to believe considering that when they compare their blowers to other brands they sure focus in on air volume at the pipe and the housing. There is no industry standard for that either. I mentionned this to them in the e-mail I sent yesterday. I hope to get a response. I think, like you, that there is something they are hiding.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I've said this before, and I'll say it again...

I've never had a situation with any of my 2 stroke equipment where I didn't have enough power. Always had more than enough. Hardly ever am I at full throttle with my fingers. Maybe I'm not "working" it enough? Maybe my grass isn't deep enough? I dont know, but I've never wondered if there was more power available in any of my 2 strokes.

I still cant answer why they dont tell you though. I'm SURE that they, or their engine manufacturer knows, so they must be holding back for a reason.

I say just buy one. If it doesn't have enough schwoop for ya, return it, take it back!

Thats my $.02

9. joed

Firefighter Dave,

I finally got a response from Echo. Here is what they told me:

63.3 cc engine on PB650 blower: 2.6 hp
    23.6 cc engine on 2400 trimmers: 0.95 hp

I find this data hard to believe. My Stihl BR400 blower with a 56.5 cc displacement has 3.4 hp. So why wouldn't a 63.3 cc engine have more hp. Maybe this fellow has the wrong numbers.