HP surging as if out of gas, but is not.

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by TreffertLawnWrx, Oct 13, 2004.

1. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

Can happen 2-3 times at each account and drives me nuts. I have checked with my dealer (wonderful) but have come to no conclusions. First thought it may be water in the gas but has gotten redundant after many gallons thru. Think there may be a bad ground but do not know where to start?

Any help would be great. '03 w/ 400 hours. 52" w Kohler 23. have not changed fuel filter yet.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Treffert,

I would lean toward governor adjustment, choke adjustment fuel filter, spark plugs and dirt in the carburator. The stock spark plugs in the Kohler do NOT like water and will tend to cause some problems if you have much moisture in the fuel.

Thanks

Terry

3. TreffertLawnWrx

thanks for the reply Terry, I'm going to relace the plugs and fuel filter tomorrow. Hopefully it works out to my advantage. ;)

4. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Dude check all your safety switches and if it surgeing like you said it will most likely be your Mercury switch, sounds like it anyway. You can by-pass the switches with a jumper, I would try the mercury switch first. How Old is your machine?

5. TreffertLawnWrx

frosty, thats sounds exactly like what the problem is. its an '03, where is the mercury switch and how do I bypass it. Thanks, Scott

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Guys,

Most switches tend to fail completely or not at all. Please if you decide do not bypass any of the safety systems. They are there for you, your friends and your families.

Thanks

Terry

7. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

It is under the seat on the main frame in front of the Hydro pumps, it is about 2 inches tall and it connect to the seat switch, it is real easy to replace and it cost about 42 dollars

8. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Mines started the same thing. I then realized that it happened when I ran out of gas and switched tanks. Then the next day it just started running normal again. I assumed it was trash in the carb from the bottom of the tank. So I now try to switch tanks before it runs out, but getting my wife to do that is another thread by itself..........

9. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I don't have an exmark, but I know my JD's gas cap has a little hole in it to let air in the tank as it goes down. When you suck gas out of the tank, you have to let air in the tank or else it creates a suction. Every once in a while the little hole that lets air in the tank has clogged up, creating a suction not allowing air to flow to the carb.

I don't know if exmark has the same little hole in their tank caps, but it may be worth a look.

Good luck.