HP to tow 48" aerator?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Oct 4, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

How much HP would a lawn tractor need to pull a weighted down 48" tow behind core aerator?

I got a request to aerate a lawn that is large enough to utilize a tow behind. None of the rental yards have anything to pull a tow behind with.

My brother in law has a 13 HP Crapsman lawn tractor/mower with a hitch on it. Think this would do the job? I'm thinking it's not enough power.

I'd hate to have to wrestle a small walk behind aerator when I can use a larger tow behind and get the job done faster and a lot less fatigued!

2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

A 13 horse will do it but it will raise he$$ with that little craftsman transmission.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would think about 20 would be the minimum...especially if you add any weight to it. I have 36 inch towable Bleubird that I pull with one of my Toro Groundsmasters (25 hp diesel). The Bluebird is equipped with 5, 6 gallon barrels that sit on top (filled with sand instead of water) which really make it heavy (I would guess at least around 4 or 5 hundred lbs. total) give or take. Another consideration you have to take into account is are there any slopes at all and how many turns will you be making (making turns really slows you down cause of greater resistance).

BTW, I have never seen a towable aerator that wide...who is it made by???

4. rodfather

One last thing...is it a spike or core aerator? A spike aerator will be easier to pull by a long shot over a core aerator.

5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

rodfather, the 48" is made by a few manufacturers as far as I know. Just received brochure in mail today from Feldmann, they have one.
    The rental yard has a 48" on thier price sheet, not sure of brand.
    (I'm talking core aerator btw).

Oh well, since I don't want to kill my bro-in-laws mower, I guess I'm renting a walk behind.
    :(

I need a quad!

Thanks for the input guys.

6. rodfather

A Quad should work...just remember to leave plenty of room for turning. Backing up a towable tears the s*** out of the lawn btw...ain't pretty either.

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

To those that may be interested, in the Feldmann brochure that I received in the mail today, they have a new product called a CoreCaster. This only fits on tractors with 3 point hitches OR front mount mowers (such as Walkers, Steiners, Hustler Excel, Deeres, etc.).

The cores are on "caster assemblies" so you can turn in any direction, no matter how sharp the turn. Plus it's a 52" width. So if you have big properties, and the right equipment to run one of these, they look like a real neat idea that will get a lot of aerating done fast and easy.

It would be nice to see this design made for others set ups, like perhaps a regular tow behind, or maybe mountable to the front of a ZTR or other mowers.

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hmmm, after posted this I dug out my JRCO catalog and see that this is pretty much how their Model 700 Series Hooker Soft Plug Aerator works.

10. rodfather

Cheesey...to say the least.