hpg (hour per gallon)....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by A+ Lawncare, Apr 19, 2005.

1. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

:help: wondering on the hpg( hour per gallon of gas) i can get off an 48'' exmark tthp w/b w/an 17hp kawaski engine? i believe these mowers have 6 gallon tanks, just wondering how many fillups i'de have to worry about per day & week

2. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

you should be good with 2 fill ups a day if mowing all day. I have a scag TT with the 35hp lc briggs and it runs for 7-8 hours an it has a 10 gallon tank on the mower. one tip to keep better gas milage is to clean the air filter. (if the little one and not the canister one clean it daily if used alot)

3. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

briggs makes a 35 hp motor?

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

The term your looking for is gal/hr.

With that setup, and taking into consideration "normal" growth mowing, you should get it under 1gal/hr. Most ZTR's are about 1.5 gal/hr.

I always thought that eXmarks used 5 gal tanks?

5. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

6. Daneman

Daneman LawnSite Member

Most gas engines burn approximately .8 gallons per hour. But give yourself some wiggle room, and figure 1 gallon per hour.

7. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

Not trying to be a smart a$$,but I can't believe some questions that come up.Makes you wonder if some people know how to figure anything out.Simple,fill the tank-run for 1 hour-fill up again-divide by # of gal.///and you will know how much it takes to run for 8 hours! :angel:

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Well, it sounds as if A+ Lawncare doesn't have this mower yet. I'm thinking he's doing his homework ahead of time. Crunching numbers. So doing it your way is a lot harder/impossible then simply asking here on Lawnsite.

You also cant really compare a 17hp 495cc engine on a 48" cut with a 35hp 895cc engine on a 72" cut.
    I would have thought that TT with the 35hp Big Block would be drinking closer to 2gal/hr.

9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

lanecare4u, maybe he doesn't own the mower yet?

10. slicksilverado01

from Ohio

That what I thought but the motor never seems to bog at all in thick wet grass.