HPS rider spreader from Lesco-good, bad or?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sedge, Oct 14, 2007.

1. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Who actually makes it?

Any one use one?

If so, how is it?

Pro's and con's?

Would you buy another?

Thanx in advance

2. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

do a search, there is a good thread somewhere on here, everything you asked was answered

3. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

I did a search and couldn't find any thing on this specific spreader :-(

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I run 2 units and have been overall pleased with the machines. Search my previous threads, i have posted a good amount of info on these units.

5. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

We purchased one from Rick at Lesco this spring, and absolutely love it. The only problem we had was the gas tank had a split in it and would leak, but Rick picked it up when he delivered our fert, fixed it, and brought it back the next week. We are 90 miles N. of OKC so that tells you something for there service. Rick and Joe are awesome guys.

We just did the school district yesterday which totals 14 schools at 17 acres. It took us 9 hrs! One guy runs spreader, the other runs the blower. We use it on all our big yards (1 acre +).

We are seriously looking at buying the z-spray this fall. I have heard a lot of good reviews about their machines. Just wish we could test one of the out first. If you go to Lesco they will let you test drive the hps before you buy it that way you can be for sure that is what you want.

Good Luck
    John...

6. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Thanx John, I did test one earlier this summer, but if I buy one, I'll need to narrow it to fit through 32" gates. Why these manufactures don't make some thing for the 32" gate openings I'll never know, as the vast majority of our gates are 32".

I just wanted to get a review and see if they were worth buying and narrowing it. Seems like they might be.

7. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

I Bought My First Hps This Spring From Lesco. My Third Hole Cable Broke, And My Gas Cap Cracked Around The Top And I Spilled Gas On A 3 Acre Lot Until I Smelled It And Stopped To Investigate. Yes You Cound See Everywhere I Went In The Lawn Plus It Rained That Night And Only Half The Acreage Was Fert. So It Looked Half Green With A Dead Spot Spaced Evenly And The Other Half Was Light Green Till Next Rain Over A Month Away. Went Home And Superglued The Cap But It Was To Late And Rain Came In. Second I Found The Crack I Called Lesco And Was Given The I Will Check To See If I Have One And Never Called Me Back. Two Days Later I Go In To Get A Case Of Aquacap Pre-m And Ask About My Gas Cap And I Get The Oh- Well I Was Just About To Call You About It. Sure You Were. I Got So Mad A Couple Days Later I Took My Aquacap Back And Refuse To Buy And More Chemicals. And Im Still Mad. This Is My First Year And I Faithfully Bought Every Thing From My 200 Gal. Sprayer To Every Chemical, Even Multiple Pallets Of Fert At A Time, And I Guess Im Too Small Of A Guy To Care About. I Only Have 65 Yards With 75% Of Them At Least An Acre. Sounds Kinda Weak To Loose A Customer Over A Fuel Cap But---it Was The Straw That Broke The Camels Back. I Did Get A New Fuel Cap From A Motorcycle Dealer That Same Day. $7.50 Compared To Probably $50.00 At Lesco.

8. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

Narrow it? You're kidding, right? Thought I'd read it all. Okay, so assuming for fun that you could do that, how are you planning to spray weeds? This is why it's a cheap machine - it only does half the job. Get a Z or a PG - that way when you "narrow" one of them, it'll at least do the whole job.

9. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Yes in narrowing it. I can do it that pretty easy, or maybe not easy, but not that difficult really. Cannot use the PG as that is too hard to narrow. It can be done, but extremely difficult.

As far as spraying goes, I have 2 options as I see it right now.

1. Put a tank sprayer inside the fert hooper and add booms.

2. Remove fert hopper and add my spray tank and booms. I made one for my brother last year to mount on his 32" Wright Standers. Pretty simple actually. But I don't want to tie up a $5,000 machine and it is too heavy.

I am planning on going all liquid this year at least for the first 3 to 4 applications. Might go liquid for the full year as it makes things so much easier, not faster, but easier.

Thanx

10. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I would not buy a HPS. You can only fertilize with. I would spend the extra money and go to a Permagreen or Z-Spray. The HPS does not appear that durable.