HRC216HXA owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by john_incircuit, Nov 2, 2005.

1. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

We’re finally giving up on the John Deere 63 walk behind. It is an outstanding mulcher, but we have strings of issues with the motor, rear wheels, transmission.

I read a lot of good things here on this board about the new Honda HRC216HXA. Besides reliability, very good mulching results are important for us, we mulch Tall Fescue 90 % of the time. For all you who own the new commercial Honda, does it really mulch very well once the twin mulching blades are installed?

Thanks for the help –John

PS: The model our dealer has is a HRC216 “K” HXA. What does this “K” mean??

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have owned a comm honda and even with the twin blades it dosnt mulch good enough for me to use it on my lawn route. the john deere jx 85 is a better machine than even the honda and a better mulcher . this is the best 21 walk behind money can buy (and it is expencive) . eaisly the best mower i have ever owned.

3. john_incircuit

from NC

I don't think JD makes the 85 any longer. Our JD 63 was definitelly a super mulcher, would be great if we just could swap the engine for a Kaw 6 hp. It seems that all of our B&S motors give up at around 300 hrs.

John

4. lawnboy dan

as far as i know they still make it but it costs like 1100$ . i have 2 and prefer the older model 14sc because it dosnt have the blade clutch. they still make the jx75 w/kawi for around 850$ . its basicly the same as jx85 but with plastic wheels and less bracing etc

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 2005 Honda hydro 21-inch mower, mulches 500% better then the 2004 and previous year’s mowers. It is a very good mower,mulches good and is best bagging 21-inch on the market,in my opinion,bags wet grass excellently. Honda 21-inch mowers, are all we use on the Chicago stamp-sized lawns.

We bought three 2005's this spring,and all have performed flawlessly.

6. lawnboy dan

glad to here they have improved the mulching on hondas . its about time!

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

honda really brought their 21"er's up a notch for '05. the other ones before that were good (and I own one) but these really mulch a lot better than the 2004 and earlier models.

my only complaint with the honda, is that it is heavy to turn.

8. lawnboy dan

true -they are a real tank to restle around but a supreme bagger and ultra reliable. i believe this is also the heavest 21 mower ever made too

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have a five year old Honda and those double blades really pull the engine down. Is that fixed with these newer units? These Honda units are still a load trying to turn them around tress/beds etc. Much easier with units that don't drive from both wheels.

10. john_incircuit

from NC

More input is appreciated. Also, does anyone know what the “K” means in the model number (HRC216 “K” HXA).

Thanks !! -- John