hrc216hxa starter cord broken: how to fix it?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by nitroguy, Jun 17, 2008.

1. nitroguy

nitroguy LawnSite Member

I'm a newbie, I'll admit it. But I'm also a mechanical engineer, so I've got a bit of a knack for mechanical things.

But I can't figure out how to get the starter apart. Is there an easier way than compressing that collar on the bottom of the assembly? I pulled out the assembly, and when trying to wind back in a new cord, lost all tension on the rope. Did I break something?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix?

Phill

2. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

Well, Honda engineers had their eyes on the bottom line: after sale parts and service. And the result? You buy a new assembly. Eazy-peazy.

3. nitroguy

nitroguy LawnSite Member

Stupid engineers.

What is the cheapest place to buy a new one? What is a fair price to expect to pay?

4. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

:clapping:

:laugh::laugh:
    I'm a quality engineer

5. Steve V.

Steve V. LawnSite Member

These guys have cheaper prices than my local Honda parts guys.

Plano power

Steve

6. nitroguy

nitroguy LawnSite Member

So, I imagine I need the "recoil starter assembly" (second from bottom on steve v's link), but why do they sell recoil springs and starter cords if it's impossible to take apart?

7. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

No it's not impossible to take apart. It should be a serviceable starter. Which way are you winding it. You have to preload the spring before allowing the rope to pull back.
    There is a possibility that the spring tab has come out of its slot and you just need to put it back in place or bend it back. The tabs are on both ends and anchor into respective slots.

8. nitroguy

nitroguy LawnSite Member

That's exactly what I was thinking, but I can't get either cover off to get to the spring. Anyone ever face this before?

Come on, this is a popular mower, someone has to have fixed this...!!

9. S DIAMOND

S DIAMOND LawnSite Member
    from South

N.G. I don't have access to my parts break down at this time, but you should have a single bolt holding the reel cover in place, which houses the ratchet assembly. There is a spring underneath the reel cover that the bolt goes through. Is this how yours is set up from what you can tell so far?