HRC216HXA with MicroCut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TXbulldog, Jul 30, 2006.

1. TXbulldog

TXbulldog LawnSite Member

Would you buy this mower again or would you buy a Toro Proline 21? I was all set to buy the Toro and now the salesman has me nearly convinced that the Honda is an all around better machine. I can get either the new honda or the Honda Toro for under $1100 out the door. The Honda appears to be better built and several repair shops all seem to agree, but the Toro's controls feel better and I just don't see many Pros using the Honda in this area (Dallas Metroplex). The local shops tell me that the reason so many people are using the Toros is because the late 2-cycle Suzuki created a cult following and because until recently, the Hondas were not known for mulching before the latest MicroCut commercial was released.
  2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I love the Honda and would buy another.

They are both good machines but I would go by dealer support and what feels more comfortable to you. I like the controls on the Honda better and that is why I went with them. Second choice would be the Toro. Decide on comfort.
  3. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

Saw Man is the new Microcut?
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have both mowers, both are exceptional. The Toro mulches, despite Honda's new micro cut system a hair better then the Honda. The Honda bags much better then does the Toro, and handles wet conditions better then does the Toro. All in all,in 2005 we decided to standardize on Honda 21-mowers. We do hundreds of stamp lawns in Chicago,we need a good tough 21.

If the epa regulation's had not caused a discontination of the two cycle Toro, We would have probably stayed with Toro.

The Honda, the height adjusters could be beefier, and the tabs that support the bagger, at least one WILL break.The Toro utilizes a tough commercially tried and true transmission, but using third gear is to fast.The hydro on the Honda allows the operator to adjust the ground speed to prevailing conditions better.

Which ever mower you decide on, have the dealer to raise the rpm's to 3600.

Both mower's are excellent.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

if the honda is hydro -i would go with it. there is too much diff in the speed settings on the toro -1st=too slow-2nd=a little too fast=3rd unuseable!. my 91 honda hydro hasnt had a single problem with the trans and has at least 10,000 hrs on it. the above post is right on about the bagging preformance
  6. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

I'm in the process of convincing myself to make the switch. I love my Toro but, lately the control bail is killing my hands and wrist at the end of the day. I have an old hrc 216 and the ergonomics are much better. If they can mulch even slightly as well as the Toro I'm sold.
  7. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Both mowers are excellent and you won't make a mistake on either. I recently had the same debate. I had 3 mowers to look at:
    1. Honda HRX217
    2. Honda commercial
    3. Toro commercial with the Honda engine.

I already knew what the Toro had to offer because I have owned a few Toro prolines in the past and I currently have an Exmark Metro 21" with the 179 cc Kawasaki engine.

The dealer was nice enough to allow me to try out the Honda HRX. Unfortunately, he was out of commercial units and Honda Canada did not intend to bring any in. I was very intrigued by the HRX series but it's not commercially rated and the GCV190 engine made me leery because of the many rubber and plastic parts in it. The Honda hydro transmission is a sweet system but it didn't feel as comfortable as the Toro, especially when you are at the end of the row. So, I decided to opt for the Toro with the Honda engine...I got the best of both worlds, Toro deck and Honda engine, but there's still a part of me that wishes that the Honda commercial was available. I probably would have opted to try it out, particulary because the quadra cut system and its exceptional bagging capabilities would have been very useful in the fall and spring with leaves and heavy growth.

The other thing you may want to consider is the fact that Toro offers the 179cc Kawasaki motor which is more powerful than the Honda GXV160 series.

Regardless, both machines are excellent and you will enjoy them. Let us know what you decide.
  8. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

6' 7"

Since you have used both the toro prolines and honda commercial units, I wanted to ask you if you noticed any difference in the speed of the two. Before Honda redesigned their unit in 2005, the lack of speed, in comparison to the Toro, was a big drawback. Has that changed with the new version?

9. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not 6'7" only 6'5" but I can tell you the new Honda's are definitly faster.
    I have found that they are sweet mulchers, and dry condition mowers. The old Hondas seemed better in the wet conditions then the new ones. I agree though on the rpm's, have the shop bump them up it will help you bag better in wet grass. :waving:
  10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The key to speed for both is the RPM setting. Take for instance, the old Suzuki two cycle is perfect. The RPM'S can be set at 4000 rpm, which translate into about 3700-3750 with the blades spinning. It increases second gear to a perfect cutting speed. Same with Kawi and Honda.The last Honda's we bought came from the factory at about 3200, and seemed slow, we raised them to 3600 and it improved cutting speed enormously.The Toro\Exmark third speed is a wee to high to get a good cut, raising the rpm's gives the Toro's good second gear ground speed and you can still acheve a good cut.