1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

HRX 217 bagging problems

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by beasleyiv, May 24, 2005.

1. beasleyiv

beasleyiv LawnSite Member

I purchased an HRX 217 last year and from day 1 it leaves a trail of clippings on the right side. I have it set to full bag and there are no blockages. I checked the rpms and they are correct. My neighbor is an old repairman and mentioned going to a single blade instead of the dual micro cut blades. Does Honda make such a blade for the HRX 217? I'm having a hard time getting a definite answer.

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

are the wheels set the same height?
  3. beasleyiv

beasleyiv LawnSite Member

Yes they are. I was also thinking, can the smaller blade just be removed?
  4. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

I'm looking at last year's Honda mower catalog. It shows Twin Blade Mulching as standard for the HRX models. Single High Lift Blade and Single Mulching Blade are NOT available as options for the HRX models according to this literature. I looked into a single blade option for my new HRC216, too. Literature and dealer say no single blades available for this model either. HTH
  5. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not an expert on that model but when you say "full bag" there is a baffle that moves to direct the clippings to the bag vs. the discharge. This is called the "Clip Director". I would look to this first. Without it running, check to see if the lever actually moves the baffles to the right position. Also make sure that the underneath of the deck is clean and free from clumped up grass.

Kilroy - You might want to check this out if you have the 216:
  6. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

Thank you for being so considerate. Mine's an HRC216K2HXA, no recalls yet AFAIK. But I sure appreciate you telling me.
  7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an HRC216HXA but I've never tried mulching with it. The only time I have a problem with trailing grass behind is when the deck begins to get messed up with wet grass, which is going to be typical for about any mower. I do keep the mower clean and so that doen't normally happen.

Last year I bought a replacement blade that looked identical to what I was using, but it did tend to leave a bit of grass behind. I haven't used that blade since then.

Not sure about your situation. Mulch only dry grass, keep the deck clean, use correct blades and keep them sharp, don't cut off more than a third of the grass at one time(which could mean mowing more often).