HTML is King

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by mdvaden, Sep 7, 2007.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Was just thinking about HTML sites this week.

Undoubtedly, other code has greater versatility, but HTML is indespensible - even for CSS sites.

But the internet's wealth of information is not produced by just web designers. A lot of the information resources are provided by average homeowner types who are very good at their crafts, hobbies and research.

For many of them, HTML is the easiest to deal with. Gets them from point A to point B reliably.

For the heck of it, today, I viewed the page source of pages like Google uses too, and noticed how HTML-thick the code was.

As stuff like CSS goes, or stays, or changes, HTML is virtualy etched in stone, and the simple tutorial websites for it, seem to increase yearly, and become better explained each time I visit.

There is strength in teamwork, and I think that the HTML code is one of the easiest codes to enable several people in a family - and business - to get busy on a website.

And it allows them to modify the layout of the page easy too. They have their boundaries, but at least they know their territory.

2. PBinWA

PBinWA LawnSite Member

HTML is the lowest common denominator. Don't worry someone will mess with it eventually! ;)

I suspect HTML will be around as long as the internet. The rest of the standards are a mess because they are constantly being fought over by various "interest" groups.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

HTML and CSS naturally complement each other. CSS is not a language per say, but a style guide.

HTML was originally designed as a markup language, not as a layout language. CSS was introduced to remedy this, as we were making HTML do things it was never designed to do.

CSS is simple a way of appling positioning and style to HTML elements.

HTML/CSS is king.

What is crap is Flash.

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Some would say that CSS is Queen because there is so much about it that helps the cosmetics and keeping things fit and trim.

5. WebMan

WebMan LawnSite Member
    from D/FW TX

I'm sorry perhaps I miss the point but of course HTML is indispensable to the Web. That's why after months of searching I chose a DIY site builder that also has a "1 click" to switch to HTML feature. So if you don't know HTML you are fine but if you want to get fancier or make it do something not in the "template" stuff the HTML is just a click away.

Personally I use 3 different programs and if need be a cleaner that will point out any improper tags they left. It's not necessary for people who just want a web site (you can find errors in some "big time" sites). But it is nice to have. And HTML knowledge is needed no matter what other "cool" thing you might be using like Ruby or Java or Ajax... even code languages like PHP or Perl will need some HTML knowledge before you can accomplish much.

Making HTML highly interactive is a bear though compared to some of the other technologies. Of course by now this discussion has lost 99.9% of landscapers but the main thing is it doesn't matter. Many site programs (all I guess) may not do perfect HTML when working in "what you see is what you get" mode but it won't be bad enough to hurt anything and it's what the more average person can use.

One thing I will note for everybody:
    No matter what the program or what you are doing NEVER "cut & paste" anything from a Microsoft application like Word straight to a web page. Microsoft says it will work but nothing adds as much "junk" code as a program like Word or Publisher. Even cutting & pasting a photo or logo may get 20+ lines of gobbledygook. :dizzy:

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely, there's no server-side cpu load with html, the client's explorer does all the processing, all the server has to do is, as the name implies, serve it.
    With php and asp and what have you there's always server-side cpu load just to process the program before it can even serve the page to the client.
    Sure it happens instantly, but it still loads the cpu, what happens when 100 folks visit simultaneously is called server-side lag.

Then there are many versions of html, and to do it right one should pick a version and stick with it over time, because in the end it also needs to be validated. Code that is not validated per a specific version slows down the explorer as it tries to interpret said code, causing client-side lag.
    Both server-side and client-side lag are unnecessary but all too frequent on the web, it's nothing new, over 90% of web sites are ineffectively designed in terms of performance, always have been and likely always will be.

xhtml 1.1 transitional is it for me, the versatility and flexibility coupled with the speed is undefeatable by other versions, even thou 1.1 has been out for 9 years or better. Granted, the w3 recommends using strict vs. transitional, but then of course we lose function and flexibility...

As for the code I use a syntax-based color editor, that is I do raw code and wouldn't dream of doing it another way.
    Templates are helpful, as are code repositories.