hud properties

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ffemt1271, Aug 17, 2003.

1. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

my neighbor is in charge of this regions hud property grounds maintenance. this is not for complexes but for actual homes that have been forclosed on. as of now i have been offered 4 accounts --mow only--no weed eat, edge, or blow. they are willing to pay $60 per yard 2 times a month. no certain day of the week--just twice per month. i questioned her about the hud payment schedule(have heard bad news about it) as she included a 10 day payment clause in the contract. i went and looked at these properties and they are in nice neighborhoods--not scummy places you could imagine. all 4 should take no longer than 2 hrs to complete. does this sound o.k. or is there something else i need to do?

2. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

sounds pretty good to me

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

thats what i thought. they are good lawns, but everyone is so busy, she couldnt find anyone else to do them (i just got in the biz in may) and she saw my ad and gave me a call.
    $60 each x 4=240 x twice monthly=480 and will take 4 hours per month thats $120 per hour.

4. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I take care of Fannie Mae repos for the local representative here. Not sure how they are differant from hud but they are both federal run programs. I have been working with them for almost 2 years now. The pay is good and like you said they only need to be mowed every two weeks, no particular day or anything. Worst thing I have run into with them is its hard to schedule. Houses are repoed and sold everyweek so our list is constantly changing. Right now we have 16 houses, three weeks ago we had 23. Only other bad thing is some are in great neighborhoods and some we have to pack heat while we cut and leave one man at the truck to guard. Overall though its been a good deal for us. Like alot of things in life, gotta take good with the bad.

5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds great on the surface. Do a search on here though for HUD props & you'll find a lot of talk..........almost all negative. Having said that I have zero personal experience with it. Maybe who you deal with is the key. Just wanted to call your attention to the search because I've seen a lot of discussions.