Hud Repo's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Jun 26, 2002.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Has anyone had the experience of doing HUD repo clean ups and maintenance? I've been called and given the details on maintaining around 30-35 properties in my area. Just wondering if it's gonna be worth the hassle and travel time.

These repo's will be houses as well as townhouses, some very small and some average size. Every one pays the same money. Initial clean-ups pay pretty good but the inside as well as the outside has to be done......anything on the property has to be hauled off........if it's something good it's mine to keep.

Need feedback if there is any.

2. Poplen

Poplen LawnSite Member

Can be a nightmare at first sight. Homes and properties have been neglected for a long time. Vandalism, trash, you name it. Once you finish the initial cleanup then it's a breeze. Property has to be kept up, not to much attention to detail, just looked like someone lives there. Draws are pretty erratic, once property is sold you get paid. If bank is involved you might have to provide pictures before and after for payment. You control the price to a certain degree. I handle a few of these properties for the past 4 years and it's great income.

3. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

We do several of these every year. They come from a real estate agent acting as property manager for financial institutions. Initial clean out will go 12 to 15 hundred depending on dumpster size on a standard 1'200 ft home. Mowing runs about 30% higher than standard, but is done only every other week. It taked 45 to 60 days to get paid after monthly invoices. We usually bid these jobs in the winter. We dont really need more mowing and usually dont want to work in those neighborhoods. The clean ups are nasty, but pay well if you dont mind waiting for your money and are an extra winter income.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I say...STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM THEM! I did it back in 2000 and within 3 months I told them were to take it. Good income? Not here, I don't know what you were getting to cut them, but it wasn't worth it. They were slow about paying because they want to keep the money in their account as long as possible. Habitual complainers, thinking that what they paid you was enough to make it look like a $2mil estate. Keeping up with all the red tape was a pain also.

Oh, yea they do only want you cutting every 2 weeks. These will be 100% weed lawns that will go 2 ft in 2 weeks. You will also hit things that you didn't know were there. Maintenance costs of the machines will go up due to all the stuff you'll hit. They are not looking for quality prices, they was lots for little. They were about 20% revenue and 95% headache. The day I dropped them I had a party. It was the real estate firm that has the contract, and they sub out all the work.
    I think there is a couple other threads on Huds.

5. Worse job I ever had. I cleaned out a garage completely full of trash bags. (About 2 1/2 years worth of trash.) Had to lock people out of their homes. Every time I'd complain about something to the FMhA office, their reply would begin with "Your contract states..." and would end with a threat by them to sue me. But maybe it was just me, I have a problem dealing with bureauacracies.

Dave

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

i have neihbors that do this for real estate co they get 25 dollars flat rate for mowing most lawns are 3ft tall they bring home the garbage and set it at there curb i looked at one and 120 would have been my min charge they do on occasion find some nice stuff that was left behind they use a semi mental guy to help them and dont pay him he just gets to keep the stuff he finds in houses and sheds 1 word sums up my neihbor (scrub) within a year the guy tore up a 48 bunton and now he has a murray rider on his homemade trailer.also when the go to clean the insides there has been homeless peeps living in some houses and sometimes there is no electric so its a wasted trip and they have to call and return later not to mention what a fridge full of food smells like when power has been off for a month and i here that there house is roach infested from some of the treasures they brought home not for me