HUGE bid potential for a school district....need help please.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Feb 11, 2004.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 20-30 different locations to bid upon ranging from schools to athletic fields, to vacant lots. Now I'm going Feb19th on a tour to check them out and get dims., but can anyone give me example estimates on football fields, soccer fields, baseball fields please? I know they are generally the same size, so what might I charge for these.

It's not that I can't bid, that's not what I'm looking for here, I just want to see how close or far off I am, and not have to re-invent the wheel if you fine people are using an almost "standard" pricing.

Thanks, your help is appreciated, I'll keep ya updated.
  2. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Need more info,is this just cutting or complete sports turf care?Need to know what all they expect you to do cause sports fields require high maintenance.Do they want you to aerate,overseed , do applications.
  3. justmjc

Sorry, just a cut and trim type mow and go. Nothing special.
  4. justmjc

bump bump bump bump
  5. Mac V2.0

Mac V2.0 LawnSite Member
    from Mid OH

hmm... you give us no indication of acrage or man hours estimated, not to mention drive time yet you want a bid. you sound like clients who call and want a price over the phone.
  6. justmjc

Well, how about a standard size football field, soccer field, or baseball field. I didn't ask for drive time in the quote. I didn't give acrage because I'm asking if there is a standard size. and what you charge. As far as man hours estimated, you tell me based upon the number of men you have working on the job. And how long did it take you?

I'm not asking for the world, just a very rough estimate. I'm sure some have done these before. Looking through the search on football fields, someone stated about $60-$80 at 35 min for a 2 man crew. Another stated about $75-$90. Do these look to be close to a standard?
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you will find a standard price for this. I can tell you, you will 99.9% surely have to be the cheapest guy. So come up with a number that you are comfortable with, then knock 50% off that quote. You should be in the ballpark then. We priced a school district last season. They accepted 19 bids, high bid was $143,000 and low bid was $32,000. We, along with nine other companies were right around $65 to $70 thousand. So at least I knew we were in the ballpark of what the estimate should have been. Of course low guy got the bid.

I know this answer doesn't help you, but maybe your efforts would be spent better elswhere. I have no clue how the low guy could even cover fixed expenses on the job, whatever, I moved on and laughed. Hopefully, the service was crap and the school district people got shafted. Stupid is as stupid does.
  8. justmjc

Wow, that's one heck of a job. What would the estimated man hours on a job like that go? I know on this they are not interested in offering all areas to 1 company. So, If I won bid on say a 360 yard x 120 football field, I figured $75-$90 might be in the ballpark. They did specifically state this was a mow and go type job. NO fertilizers, no aerations, etc... Cheap skates I guess...

Well hell, they just put up the largest high school in either the state or something like that. I don't think this maintenance is in the budget.:rolleyes:

I swear this thing makes colleges look bad.
  9. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

I want to know what these guy's are on(mowers) that it takes 2 guys 35 min. to mow a football field?
    Know a guy who's crew mows somewhere between 110-130 in a day. It's kinda chopped up(building and parking lots...)and rough as a cob, but it only takes 4 guys slightly over ten hours and 5 guys slightly less than 9 hrs. It works out to about 43 manhrs. Only bad thing about it is that you have to bid it to do in a day. That takes dependable men and lots of equipment. I'll try to find out for sure how many mows he contracts for(I think twnety eight) and yearly pay. It's the same as other places you MUST be low bid.
    I figure if it's worth the exposre and stuff that you DO make money on doesn't suffer I say just barely get by on it. After all you don't have travel fuel or "windshield" time, just pure production so hourly rate can be fig. quite a bit less than normal.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

if I was you, I would present to the board, or whoever is approving this, to try to sell aeration and fertilization of the fields as well. And tell them the benefits of this.