Huge blow up with "the Garbage Police"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, May 5, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm working on a corner lot, Power raking. Everyone had their garbage at the end of their driveways in situations like that I put the bags of grass with the regular garbage.

So I had about 10 bags of grass on the curb already and was carrying more from the back the garbage truck passed and picked up what was there. So as I'm putting more bags at the end of the driveway a gabage man starts yelling from the other end of the cul du sac. I wasn't sure he was yelling at me and turned to get more bags a couple times.
    When the truck gets closer he's still yelling, saying that I'm breaking the law, he can get me fined and so on. I yelled back at him that I'll put garbage wherever I want and I've never heard such laws. It was pretty intense, then his supervisor pulls up while I'm still arguing with this twit. He says now your going to get fined and he said, I took bags from here but I'm not taking anymore. (it's not my house and I wasn't asking him to take more bags as they had already passed, they were working their way around a cul du sac, I was just puttin gbags at the end of the curb)
    I start talking to the stupidvisor and he trys questioning me, whats my name, do I own this company. Then I got rude to and told him its none of his business, that I will never take clippings to the dump. He actually told me he was watching another LCO a few blocks away and he's taking his clippings.
    I pulled out my voice recorder and told him I was recarding this conversation (even though my batteries had died: I didn't know that at the time) and told him I would be filing a complaint agaisnt him.
    The I told him the garbage man stole my property. I had a brand new role of gabage bags at the bottom of my pail, which was sitting upright at the back of my truck halfway up the driveway. I only had it partially full and was going to take it to the next job to fill it up there. He must have walked up the drive way pulled out the nearly empty bag then grabbed my role of new bags. I say tihs because everyone elses garbage cans when emptied were lying on there side at the end of the drive way while mine was still standing upright at the back of my truck halfway up the driveway AND they obviously had a beef with LCO's.

They told me several times (this took about 15 minutes)
    Ppl arent allowed to have more than 8 bags.
    lco's have to take away all clippings.
    i can be fined and we must take away the clippings.
    They tried to represent laws that dont exist the idiot gives me a tag that they put on garbage when they don't take it away as proof. I read it in front of him and it didn't say anything about what we were talking about, lol. he told me to phone them and that he was on the phone with his boss blah blah.

The supervisor gave me a roll of cheap bags that dont fit my garbage cans to replace what was stolen but i'm so choked I'm putting my thoughts on paper and am contemplating a police report.

I already filed a complant with the city who told me there were no such laws.

The background of this is that recently a company called BFI has contracted out garbage pick up it used to be city workers that did it and I guess they dont like LCO's in the spring clean up time and make up their own BS laws and try to intimidate us.
  2. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Volusia county they have seperate days of the week they pick up garbage (Friday) Yard Debri (Tuesday). I know other areas are diff. Some of my Customers there pickup days are Mon and Wed. etc... I believe they legally have to seperate. I think the limit on bags here is 16 and no more then 50lbs. Branches can not be over 4ft and have to be bundled.
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

The garbage is being pulled by a private company. They private company has a contract with Homeonwer A, B, C, D...ect....In that contract it state they they will take X amount of garbage at such and such time...But at no time will they take garbage in which the waste was created by a comercial entity. In some cases it could be Old siding, old carpet, shingles, ect. In this case the waste was bagged and created by a comercial entity and thus as a result of the contract they have with the customer ABCD... they are not bound to remove said garbage....

I never bagged and left stuff curbside....I priced the debris removal in the cost of the bid. Iknow Id never want to look at piles of garbage sitting outside my house from a contractor while witing for the garbage guys to remove.

I do agree with you questioning authority though, the guy driving the truck is not he one making rules or signbingthe contracts. As if BFI(mind you around here they SUCK) is skimping on their contract , by not taking the wast witch was generated on that property, they just made some extra $$$... But if its a contract thing with BFI and their contract state they they are not supposde to take away comercially generated waste, you might be SOL....
  4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

thats exactly the kind of reason I have a little compost pile on my side lot. just dump it in, let it rot, in 10 years I figure it'll be a nice garden site.
  5. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah that's pretty dumb but then again I too also wouldn't dispose of waste at a customers house unless they have woods connecting to their lot I can dump in.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I have NO bagging customers.

No offense to anyone, but it's always more trouble than it's worth. Mind you, this is my 5th year and really about the first year where I have none (had 2 last year, several more the year before). It was a long and gradual process but I fought hard and I won, no more bagging for me, ever.

For those of you who dump on your own lot, that's cool because I did that for a long time, too. It's not so bad so long it's just grass clippings but eventually I added other stuff and the pile got big enough the neighbors complained (lol) so then I had to rent a dingo (200 dollars) and re-work the entire pile plus take a load to the landfill (another 40 dollar fee, nevermind labor and fuel). After that, I decided it was easier to take debris straight to the landfill and charge accordingly: 200 dollars per 6x12x2 trailer load (this includes all the labor, everything).

As for bagging it and / or hauling away? I don't bag, my mowers are Grand Toro Recyclers.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Well I didn't even get through all that... But I have to say, please be more environmentally conscious than this! The landfill is NOT where grass clippings need to go. Filling up the landfill with grass is a huge waste of valuable space and is exactly the reason that many towns will not collect green waste at all.

Let's not forget the money and time you are throwing away messing with bags.. Plus how horribly unprofessional it is to leave a bunch of stinky bags of rotting grass on a customers driveway. I used this method when I was 12 years old and cutting a few lawns for neghibors. even then, many times I would find ways to haul my clippings off.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

freddy you are wrong! i worked for all three of the major trash companies(they kept buying each other out) over a period of 6 years. their contract is with the homeowner not with them and his lawn guy. and in some places there is a limit on what they will pick up (# of bags) here it was 10 every were except for the city which was unlimited but that was contracted through the city. it is illeagal for you to put your trash out with someone else's its no different than you putting your trash from home out with your neighbors. we delt with it all the time. it also makes you look bad if you can't do the job right don't do it. thats what makes the difference between at true lawn and landscape professional and a lawn boy!
  9. Freddy_Kruger

No I'm not wrong. Their contract is with the city and the city has no laws about grass or spring clean ups and no 8 bag limit either. BFI doesnt make laws they, like us, are supposed to follow laws. Every spring you can see sometimes dozens of bags at the curb or if someone is moving etc. But I am totally in the right and had it confirmed with the city. I reitorated my complaint today and and going to contact the city councillor responsible for waste to make it publically known that he has been made aware of BFI skirting the laws. I also am putting down my thoughts on paper and considering making it a police complaint. I'm really angry.

another thing a couple years ago a Gay mayor wanted to put an extra tax of a dollar a bag for every bag over a certain limit, he was voted out of office.
  10. Freddy_Kruger

Since when do know anything about our laws?

If you don't know what you're talking about you should really keep your trap shut.