Huge dealer price difference

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Lone Mower, Mar 30, 2010.

1. The Lone Mower

The Lone Mower LawnSite Member

Went and looked at a Scag Pro V 36" WB unit today, at two different dealers.

I kind of expected them to be about the same price, both are within 30-35 miles of each other...

The first dealer had what I am looking for on the floor, listed at $4295- actually has it on sale for $3999.

Second dealer didn't have in stock, but could get within two days from the warehouse. $5899, bottom line no dealing.

How can there be that much discrepency between dealers? A few hundred $ maybe, but this seems crazy. The second dealer is actually larger would seem to have better volume buying power-thus being able to offer a little better pricing.

So, I'm just a bit baffled by this. Oh well, I know which one will be getting my business as far as sales go for now.

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

thats ALOT of money for a 36" walkbehind in the first place. you can get an exmark metro 36" for $3000.

3. one dealer might be buying a truck load at a time where the other one is buying a few at a time. then there is early season pricing where one might have bettter buying power.

4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me know where you can by Exmark hydro walk-behinds for $3000.00. The Scag he is talking about is the pro-v which is a hydro driven machine. Personally I think that the $3999 would be a good price. I just priced a 36 exmark hydro turf tracer for $5800.00 and a 52" was $6999.00. Must be where its close to the start of the season.

5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

If you're planning on spending that kind of loot, might as well get a V-Ride. They offer it in a 36 with a 20hp Kawi. If you're not limited on wide, step up to the 48 or 52.

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

didn't know that mower was a hydro or that he specifically was looking for a hydro.

for $6999.00 i can get a great 52" lazer z with some accessories so the prices you are spitting out for walkbehinds are high as well.

7. The Lone Mower

The Lone Mower LawnSite Member

I don't know about that, the 36" V ride they had was stickered at $6999. :eek:

Since I'm just getting my feet wet, and have only residentials lined up, I'm hoping the WB for $4k will do for now.

8. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Hell I rather ride or stand for that price.

9. LoneToySoldier

LoneToySoldier LawnSite Member

I looked at a 36" hustler walk-behind this week for $5899. Granted that was hydro and floating deck. Still I can't believe what people want for walk behind mowers. Try something gently used.

10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

I had a price on a 61" velocity fixed deck walk behind for 4700 the other dealer wanted 7900??!! There are only three of those mowers left in the country and when the first dealer caught wind that the other guy was that high he jacked his price up to. F em all! I'm gona buy a used 52" pro v for 3900 bucks and mail them a picture with my bare a$$ bent over. All dealers are crooks, then they want to act like your a jerk for shopping around.
    Posted via Mobile Device