Huge install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JRSlawn, Feb 24, 2005.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys today I just got contacted by a new home owner who is intrested in having us intsall here lawn and landscape. They house is huge and from the way they have been talking money isnt a huge issue. My question is there house sits on a 3 acre lot I think I am going to have it hydroseeded but what should I do to the soil to get it ready in the past whenever I did a yard I brought in tons of topsoil spread it and planted always worked great. Do you think I could just run it over with a harley rake a couple of times and then go over it with the rockhound. Let me know what you guys think I just dont think putting topsoil down here will be phisible. Can't wait to get this thing going!

2. ToroMaster

ToroMaster LawnSite Member
    from Neenah

You shouldn't spend the extra cost of hydroseeding a three acre lot. Everyone I install for has at least two acres. Just get a harley rake for your tractor and spread the seed. You don't have to spread straw either, it just brings in weeds. Good luck and spend at least twenty hours working up the soil for three acres.

3. JRSlawn

the customer has been kind of leaning towards hydro. But I was thinking if I ran it over with the harley rake once or twice and rockhounded it it would be fine. Would it be ok if I just harley raked it a couple times?

4. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Kind of a simple question but what is there for soil now??? Anything good? Bad? Sometimes hard to answer these questions when we can't see the lot!

5. JRSlawn

I havent got a chance to really take a look at it yet. I think the area maybe pretty sandy. But I could be wrong. I will let you guys know when I get out there.

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you really should have your real location listed. this will greatly affect the advise you get. since landscaping methods vary so greatly from area to area, is greatly helps to have your location.

if the client is willing to pay for the hydro... go for it. It absolutely will give better results.

also when you askl these questions, if you plan on getting any worthwhile advise , you MUST include some details. is the area wooded, soil types, zone, what's there now, is there irrigation, or some way to water the area.. 3 acres is a lot of property to drag a hose around.

7. TerraVenture

TerraVenture LawnSite Member

I am not sure where you are located but I can't see how you can say hydro seeding will be too expensive. The labor and materials required to seed a lawn properly and get the results of hydroseeding will be much more than hydro seeding. I pay $.055 per sq ft with a $250 minimum to have my sub contractor do my lawns.

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

here it is only $.06/sq ft as well.

i can barely put the fertilizer and seed out for that.

9. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Curious how you plan to retain moisture without straw or hydromulch....
    Yoou know the customer wont water it.
    I can see the call backs. I am still amazed at the so called "landscape legend in his own mind" local guy who turns up to a new lawn with a skidsteer & rockhound an no bucket?????????? no eliminator rake???????

Then proceeds to rockhound rock hard clay and wonders why not a lot is happening. Then wonders how he will fill in low areas.

footnote..any of you guys use a rockhound as a topdresser. I fill the bucket with soil, raise the bucket, tilt it and have it running going backwards. Great if you get some soil with chunks now and then. You get a nice 6 foot wide pass.

10. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys include in your hydroseed mix? We include: liquid lime, hydromax, hydrogel, a tactifier, fertilizer, and then of course your mulch and seed. We get about .08/ sq ft.