Huge JOB-Many quotes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NEWGUYRI, Jan 24, 2010.

1. NEWGUYRI

NEWGUYRI LawnSite Senior Member

The home is in a large upscale neighborhood with good acess by road. Property is 64,000 square feet(1.46 Acres). The amount of turf is probably around 1 acre.

Bid # 1: Mowing: Very meticulous detail mowing: 1 acre turf, sloped hill towards back of property, a small fenced in area, and a lot of trimming. I was thinking somewhere around $100-$125/week.

Bid #2: Aerate/overseed/de-thatch: Homeowner wants to get turf into adequate condition, I have sugested that the lawn, not in it's best condition, is dethatched, then aerated and overseeded. For this service I was thinking around 1,000.

Bid#3: Edging, mulch, and adding some more perrenials. Around 8 yards. I was thinking around 800-1000.

Bid#4: adding a large flowerbed along the road, filling it with plants, adding mulch, etc. Around 2,0000-3,000

Bid#5: spring clean-up: fall clean-up by last company was not comprehensive at all. I was thinking 400-600

Bid#6: Trimming all hedges. Estimate:300-400

These homeowners are very meticulous about everything, and money is definitely not an object, within reason. They want to rejuvenate their properties appearance, which is not bad, but not great either.

The home is pictured below:

100 Nayatt Road.jpg

2. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I would say your mowing price sounds pretty good. How big is the gate on the fence? The spring cleanup could take a while if the last company didn't do a good job in the fall. I would think you are very close in your price for that. But I don't really know your area. The other bids there aren't enough details to help you out.

3. NEWGUYRI

the gate is 95" wide, so it can fit pretty much anything. What more info can I give for the other stuff, I walked the property for quite a while. I can answer any other q's.

4. NEWGUYRI

Time Estimates:

Mowing: 1.5 hours with a 2 man crew

Aerate/overseed/dethatch: 2 man aerating with w/b aerators, would take about 4 hours. Dethatch, 2 hours. Overseed may be subbed out.

Mulch: about 12 man hours

Spring clean up: about 12 man hours

5. Bustedblade

Bustedblade LawnSite Member
    from Ny

How bad is the thatch? I've had good luck with hammering em hard with a plugger then overseeding like crazy, in early spring. I have used the same process at my own home and it looks great after a few weeks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Its hard to say how your prices sound since it can't really see the property, I don't know your market prices, and I don't know the prices of the materials you will get and equipment you will rent, so that makes it tough to judge. From the sounds of things, you have never done a job requiring this much work at one time.

7. NEWGUYRI

The thatch isn't too too bad, but it needs some work. I think dethatching with the jrco dethatcher I'm going to purchase should only take 3 hours tops.

8. NEWGUYRI

As you know I'm 15. So, yes, this is my first Job of this proportion, I also have a 40 yard mulch job coming up in the spring:)

9. Bustedblade

Bustedblade LawnSite Member
    from Ny

If it's not bad, you might be better off just plugging and seeding.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would start calling around to local suppliers and get some prices on the mulch, flowers, etc. needed for some of the projects your bidding on.

I'm not huge on doing landscape installs, I only do a few small projects like that so I can't be too much of a help with that side.

But mowing and spring clean up I will be able to help. If its going to take you 1.5 hours with 2 men (3 man hours) to mow weekly then the $125 would be a better price. The spring clean-up price seems a little low to me if you think it is going to take you 12 man hours. I would be looking at closer to $800 for that price.