Huge Number of yards starting out????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WalkerMan9669, Mar 22, 2005.

1. WalkerMan9669

WalkerMan9669 LawnSite Member

Im new to the business, and have about 5 or 6 residential accounts.....and i am hearing about these people that have 20, 30, 40 yards their first year. Im wondering how they are doing this and how they obtained all of these yards.

2. Go for the Green

Go for the Green LawnSite Member

It's called advertising and promotion....

3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

total number don't mean anything it is the quality of those accounts that matter. Just take your time and build for success not just to do business. Take your time it will come. I started out my first year it was the end of the year I only had 3 the next year I added another 10 no advertising just word of mouth but i was doing it part time building to eventually quit my job. Now we are at 50 and all but 3 are top accounts. I actually cut 8 this year.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

More likely, it's called having no clue about a business and doing work for essentially zero pay.

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

100% correct they cannot hire you if they do not know you exist. It's not to late to get on this either.

I started my first year with 0 accounts by august we had 65 still less then we would of liked but enough to eek by. You gota risk some capital and advertise in fact if thatÂ’s not in you plan you screwed up.

6. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

To be honest I don't go by how many accounts that I have but how much the income is a week. I have around 70 lawns. A friend in the town over has 110. but I actually gross more a week than he does. Reason is that I mow getting on the average for most of my lawns 30 to 40 dollars per cut. while he is mowing smaller lawns for 15 to 20 dollars a pop. but Drew is right it is quailty not quanity.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

It's real plain and simple. To gain big numbers of accounts you have to first do outstanding work and second be prepared esp since you are in Greensboro to spend THOUSANDS of dollars advertising to get your name out there as there are dozens upon dozens upon dozens of LCO's here (and that's just the legal ones, not counting the kids, lowballers, and illegal Unlicensed ones) including quite a few very big private ones, plus ALL the major nationwide's such as Brickman, US Lawns, etc. This year alone I will spend about $25,000.00 on advertising and contacts.

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

The 10k I am spending just shrunk up a bit :blush:

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Learn to write a very effective proposal..........gets em every time.

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I only wanted to spend $10K but there have been so many new guys in the Greensboro area signing on here lately I figured I'd better up it.... :cry: LOL