Huge Property!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spin2098, May 14, 2007.

1. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

How is everyone, it has been awhile since I have posted. I received a call today for a property that is 40 acres!! When I say 40 acres it is all wide open mowing, this is a farm where the owner has turned the fields into lawn area. I have no idea on how to go about giving a price on something like this. It is pretty wide open mowing I would say about 3hrs of weed eating involved. We have the equipment and manpower to handle the job but I am not about to go in there and be kicking myself because I bid low. Like I said it is wide open there is a barn and a house to go around other then that is wide open. Anybody out there have an idea of what to charge? Does anyone charge by the acre when it comes to properties this big? Appreciate any help! I know my hour rate but have no idea how long it would take to cut this why I am looking for an acre rate.

2. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

On a job that big you would be best to have a big enough piece of equipment to get the job done quick. This usally means a piece that would stay there. I would buy a used unit and keep it on site. As for price I have no idea. There would never be a property like that anywhere near where I live. That would be a huge waste and wouldn't happen, at the very least they would put sheep on it.

3. desii

desii LawnSite Member

It's going to be hard to tell you what to charge, but I would not charge by the acre, if it were me. We do several properties that large and larger, and none are by the acre. I pay my men hourly and use an hourly figure for bidding purposes. Having said that, you would need to determine how long it will take you 'with your equipment' to arrive at a price. We could do it in a day, but were running 11' and 16' batwings (which I would suggest looking into, if I were you). The 11' is rated at 8 acres / hour and the 16' is rated at 14 acres/hr. The terrain will determine if you can actually achieve those numbers. Hope that helps.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

if ya got $800, I would say that is good

5. 800wildcat

800wildcat LawnSite Member

I've found the ratings are usually very optimistic. They are often achieved by multiplying the width of cut by the top speed of the machine (mph x 5,280) to get square ft and then dividing by 43,560 (sq. ft. in acre). I've a Hustler 4600 dual range wing that has a top speed of 10 mph, the factory rates it at 7.5 acres p/h and it is actually attainable in optimum conditions. This same machine rated like other factories do theirs would carry a rating of 14.5 acres per hour.

6. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

For around ($1800 new), (700 used) you can get a pull behind like I have and mow 10' in one pass.
    I found for the least money spent I can use my Z and a pullbehind and not have to invest the big money for a bat wing.

My 60" DC and 60" Swisher could mow 40 acers in around 4 to 5 hours in open property like that. My charge $400.

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I think 40 acres for 400 or 800 is way low, but then I don't mow 40 acre jobs. a buddy of mine did an industrial complex with 40 acres, he was an irrigation man and was doing a repair. they asked him to mow it and he said no, and then the told him they paid like 1500-2000 bucks or something per cut. He bought a new big tractor with A/C and big finish cut mower, and does it twice monthly on a sunday for 10 months out of the year. he has a helper do all the close mowing and trimming and blowing, it takes him all day to do it, 8 hours, including sharpening the blades and filling all the rigs w/ gas and etc. he leaves all the equipment onsite in thier shed. he told me he paid off the equipment the first year and it's been gravy since.

8. spin2098

spin2098 LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the input, this has helped me out big time. Hope everyone is staying busy!

9. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

I wouldn't touch it for less than $1400. What the he77 is wrong with everybody.

10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

$400, that is low. Could be your area but that is most of the day and it would be hard to do something else after travel etc... My 2 cents.

:)