(hUge) shrubs to be removed

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by lslandscapeco, Jul 2, 2014.

1. lslandscapeco

lslandscapeco LawnSite Member

I would cut em down but....i gotta plant some new shrubs so i need the root systems outta thr. Thanks for the response guys. I will probably use mini x, i have quite abit experience with one but those bushes are purty darned close to the house!:eek: and even with experience i could still do damage so guess I'll take it slow.. Chain n truck are outta th picture tho.

2. GVL LLC

GVL LLC LawnSite Member

cut the shrubs with a chainsaw about 5 ft off the ground so you can see what your doing. strap a 15 ft tow strap to the trunk of the shrub about 4 ft up the trunk then hook the other end of the strap up to the mini ex that is about 10-12 ft away from the shrub and slowly pull out

3. lslandscapeco

Thats probably what i will do! Thanks. Should be able to whip it out in a day and make a good profit.:cool:

4. lslandscapeco

Well finally got this job done and the shrubs popped rite out using a 40hp mini x.
    Looked like there root ball was only about a foot deep. Heres some after shots..the homeowner wanted me to use his old wood edging.

CAM00218.jpg

CAM00217.jpg

5. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Looks nice. Sure glad you did not run into any underground utilities.
    easy-lift guy

6. GVL LLC

GVL LLC LawnSite Member

did you use the method that I said to use?

7. lslandscapeco

Yes thanks to missdig:)

8. lslandscapeco

yes on those tall ones i wacked em down first but i didnt use any chains or straps..just hooked the stumps with bucket and pried em out. Had a helper spotting me .