hugh brush clean up... need some help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slikrick, Jul 22, 2004.

1. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

i have a client who asked me to clean up a nasty 60x20 foot patch of ferns and low rider half dead bushes w/ some palmetto palms mixed in...... looks like a scene 10 miles into an uninhabited forest! its nasty, roots everywhere. any ideas of tools or power equiptment i should use or would help to get the job done? any input would be great!
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Big axe, chain saw, hedge trimmer & chop, cut and trim away. If U can access it you mite pull some roots with truck & chain or better yet, a tractor if available.
  3. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

thanks for the input! good ideas but im wondering if a stump grinder or something of the sort might be more time saving and less back breaking? anyone else w/ any ideas?
  4. youngdude

youngdude LawnSite Member

Gas and a match.
  5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

get a root rake. It is a tractor rental with a special set of tines specifically for that. Pricey and maybe a bit overkill for that small of an area, but try looking to see if a Bobcat can use a similar idea.

not a stumpgrinder, they are just huge slow circular saws. They do have something that is like a 55 gallon drum with teeth onit. But around here they are $2200 per day rental.
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Stump grider is $2200/day? :eek:

I hope that was $220:)

You might be careful about just ripping out roots, or grinding them down indiscriminately as they could be very vital to a particular trees health. I have several situations similar to yours, and have a tree guy, or stump man examine what can safely be ground down or removed before letting the steel fly.

You will likely need a brush saw attachement to get alot of the stuff out. Problem is in those cases, it is hard to really see what you are getting into, which can result in underbidding a job.

I would get everything I could with a trimmer and brush saw, then you can work on the larger stuff when you can see it, and move around in it. Watch for poison ivy as well!

Depends how much tree matter you have to remove whether or not a brush grinder would be helpful. You could contact a tree company for a price to grind up brush if you do not want to haul it out. Best time for all this work is when it gets cold and there is not so many bugs to assult you.

Good luck
  7. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

skid steer and a dump truck... Get the skid with the grapple option..
  8. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

What he said........
  9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Bulldozer.. Be prepared to spend at least $220 a day+ @$500 deposit.. But you'd get that area cleaned up in a hurry...And what NC big daddy said...
  10. slikrick

slikrick LawnSite Member
    from FL

ok so i priced the skid steer and its w/in budget as long as it knocks off time but ive never used one before! is it hard to understand or work? what type of controlls are there?