Hulk hands

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikesjumpingin, Jul 3, 2003.

1. mikesjumpingin

mikesjumpingin LawnSite Member

I wake up early to the sharp pain coming from my landscaping/lawn care hands and laugh at myself as I tie my boots with my thumbs.

Although I'm a part-timer (teacher on the side) I have a great amount of satisfaction and pride with my new occupation while I put my back into my work.

I think I'm over-doing it though, and I don't know if I have nerve damage or arthritis, but I ain't goin to no doctor for a diagnosis and medication.

Does anyone else have hulk hands? I eased up on my mower drive-wheel belt settings today (had them tightened up for wet grass and hills) and that seemed to help a lot. I am also buying 2-cycle equipment to do the work for me (no more pruning with hand tools--got a Stihl hedge trimmer and a new chainsaw recently). What else eases the pain and will my hands ever recover?

Thanks, Mike. :cool:
  2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of mower are you using
  3. If it's carpal tunnel you'll end up begging the Doc for surgery.:D

This is my experience with carpal tunnel surgery.

4. HarryD

hey dave how are the hands now:confused:
  5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

First, one way to tell if its Carpal Tunnel is, while your fingers will tingle and feel asleep in the morning your “Pinky finger” will not. Check that.
    Next, you can reduce the strength needed to pull the pistol grips by about 75% any standard belt drive machine by installing a 1.5” spacer on the spring. Afterwards, it should be easy enough to pull with just one finger. Once done, reverse will not work, but no one uses it. Last, if the pain is just tendonitis, go to the doctor and learn how to fix and prevent it from re-occurring. Don’t be dumb and not get help. Not every doctor is a wacko.
  6. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

In my experience the "hulk hands" will not disappear until you get the hydro.
  7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

Hulk hands? I thought the dude was going to say he played in fresh cut thatch and stained them..I got no clue what tha heck yawl are talking about..I do have a friend that does have carpal tunnel. He claims it is use of weed eaters etc over the years. Sometimes if he carries lets say a bowel of soup and it is full it will be half empty by the time he gets to the table..I really feel for him
  8. Thanks for asking.

Getting stronger. Still can't push with my palms flat. Getting out of the bathtub's a chore.:rolleyes:

My cousin says it'll be another 6 mo. to full recovery.

But I was sleeping thru the night the day after surgery. So it was worth it just for that.:sleeping:

9. HarryD

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Ailments such as you describe are not to be taken lightly, would be best to see a professional sooner than later. Maybe an easy fix now, could be a lot worse later.

As you described doing, take advantage of any mechanical 'tool' that will do a lot of the work for you, but you still have to manipulate them. You should discover that these 'tools' will also increase your productivity. Offers an excellent variety of stress, impact, support, type gloves.

Maybe you're holding the chalk too tight, or students necks. :)