human waste

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 8, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I know a lot has been said about millorganite, but what about the compost you can get from sewage places?

I know a lot has been said about this too but didn't pay much attention as I could not find any around here. Well, I accidentally found some. I was thinking of using it until I can get my own compost going.

Good? Bad? OK for the time being?

I think, vague memory, that heavy metals were the issue? I don't remember. I will do some research, have another thread to attend to.

2. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

Just from what I have read, it is the pathogens that remain in the sewage(even after composting). I look forward to reading what others have to say. I think I have hit the tip of the iceberg.

3. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

See my comment in the "cow manure and weeds" thread. I would not go there, personally.

4. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

its good if your growing rice in some Asian countrys.i wouldn't use it.quit being so cheap and buy some fertilizer.

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

the way its processed and the heavy metals are the key, limed, composted, steamed and pressed. its going to be OK, just know what your getting. also we like to add it to our compost, it add some N

6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

also what about septic systems, is there some magical place it goes after the tank??? or is it in your yard still. i know in FL we have about 12 inches of sand over our sh*t tank and drain field. are these a dangerous to every one, we have 140,000 + sh*t tanks here, you can always tell where it is just look for the dark green grass that's 3 inches taller than the rest!!!

7. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

The sludge and fat is in your tank, the grey water is in your leach field. In FL, I imagine a leach field does just exactly what it is supposed to do -- leach. In clay environments a leach field has a tougher time. All that said, would you let your children play right on top of the leach field? Maybe in FL, but not in MO. Also, there is a great deal of difference between grey water and solids sludge.

You can talk about all the treatments you want, I'll stick to herbivore manure.

AR and MO tomatoes (and other produce) have been deemed safe. Can the same be said for FL, TX and Mexico? In MO (and AR, too I think) sludge can only be used on hay fields, not for any crop production.

8. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

"You can talk about all the treatments you want, I'll stick to herbivore manure."

Well said. Another note, when I saw this thread for the 2nd time I thought it would fit nicely in the political forum, "Human Waste":usflag:

9. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

My parents back yard has their septic lines going there. You can follow them exactly due to the REALLY TALL healthy fescue grass growing. We know to keep the trucks off that area. I grew up growing in that part of the lawn, hated cutting it though, and I am perfectly fine, well... depends on who you ask.