1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Humic acid article in turf mag

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Sep 4, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

There is a really good article in turf magazine about humid acid. It sounds like so ething that could be benificial to adding into my program. I'm curious for any who use this? I'm beginning to research this and the rates, apps, and volumes.

I can get rates from the labels but how many apps are needed to make this worth doing? 1-2 yearly apps or something needed monthly.
    Is timing important? I tend to blanket app in fall and spring and spot spray in summer.

I'm thinking this might help strengthen my fescue and maybe keep if from burning out so fast? Maybe help the Cec and improve color and roots of all warm season and cool turf

Pass on your thoughts or experiences
  2. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I've been researching and ...

Fescue - I do blanket apps of weed control during its good growing weather In the spring. I'm applying fertilizer pre and post so I could mix in some humic acid and get 2 good blanket apps. The rest of the year I wouldn't be doing blanket apps on fescue. Think this would be enough to make a difference in the soil?

Warm season - the only blanket apps are in very early spring and fall. These apps are pre and post. Tis would be 3-4 applications but they are all on mostly dormant turf. Would applying humic acid on dormant turf make a difference?

If I could upsell a soil amendment treatment I would but my area does not support premium services. I get no request for any organic treatments and very few fungicides. Most people just want weed free and green!
  3. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

You will have to adjust rates accordingly for fewer applications, but it will have an impact on soil health. Humates take some time to do their thing, don't expect short term miracles. Over time you will notice turf will suffer less stress and rebound quicker.
  4. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

is polyhydroxycarboxylic acid comparable to humic acid?
  5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't humic acid the result of decaying organic matter??? Would the humates be redundant in soils with adequate amounts of SOM???
  6. phasthound

7. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

Why ?
  8. phasthound

I was afraid you'd ask. :)

Seriously I'm swamped now, get back to it in a day or so.
  9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

The SOM count also includes undecomposed trash. An example of this is from lawns with a thatch problem. I can attribute part of a thatch issue to soil chemistry and plant nutrition issues. The other parts have to do with water and mowing.

Humates are not a magic potion or a replacement for fertilizer. However, I have seen liquids based on humates and solutionized organic matter steer soil towards a structure beneficial to turf growth. Growth Products Essential Plus is the one I use in addition to, not instead of fertilizer.
  10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Organic Matter is in a constant process of decay, from the fresh grass clipping that hits the soil to the last bit of worm excrement that is straight plant food...
    So my basic point is that Humates come from OM and what is so special about the Humates from outside sources that make them better than the Humic Acids that occur in decomposition right in my own lawn with my own sources of compost etc., etc.??? :)