Humming Spindles???

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Andrew's Lawn Maintenance, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

Andrew's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Member

I own a exmark lazer z hp and love it, I am noticing a new humming suound coming from the spindles. New machine, only 150 hours on it, and I just started noticing it.

2. Z2000

Z2000 LawnSite Member

Hey Andrew, I had the same thing but at 250 hrs. Water killed my bearings, because I wash my machine all the time. Over the past two weeks I have become an expert in the Lazer Z HP spindles. My machine is 260,000 +, if you have a similar maching with same spindles, I'd be glad to let you know the ins and outs of both replacing the entire spindle, and / or just the bearings in your current set up.

I did both. I bought 3 new assemblies, complete, and installed them. Then I took my old spindles, bought just bearings and had them pressed out pressed in. Now I have a brand new set in, and a brand new set ready for next time.

If you find yours are bad, which they probably are (if noisey and loose), lemme know and I can send you the details.

Z

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

is it a deep "droning" sound or what? can you take tension off the drive belt and spin all 3 blades? if you can, listen to them, they should almost spin silently and effortlessly. with the motor off of course.

4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

Z2000, did you buy your bearing at J. Thomas or where? They sell them for about 9.20 each. i have to get a set in my metro before i sell it.

5. Z2000

Z2000 LawnSite Member

Hey MikeLT, I actually got them from a NAPA supplier, so you should be able to get them from any NAPA. I can get you the part # if you would like (on the road tonight, don't have handy). They are a high quality Timken bearing. I paid less than $14.00 for the pair (7.00ea).

These would be the bearings that go in spindle cut assembly eXmark #103-1105. eXmark bearing number #1-513016.

I'lll get you the NAPA number if you are interested.

6. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

It is a new Triton 50" deck so I will get you the numbers later. It is a high pitched humming noise. I don't understand how water can get into the sealed bearings. Only 1 season old and has only 160 hours on it! This is rediculous. Will the mfg. war. cover this?

7. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Andrew,

I doubt that it's failed bearings on a Triton machine. To date we have yet to have a warrantable failed bearing on this machine...(meaning that outside of hitting a manhole cover and destroying the complete housing).

I'd look at deck idlers, belts etc. as the cause of the noise.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Lenny

8. Andrew's Lawn Maintenance

What do you mean by belts? I have noticed that the idler pullies are alittle loose and the dealer wouldn't even look at it!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Andrew,

By belts, your looking to see if it's become glazed, broken a cord, frayed, etc... Also looking for debris build up in the sheave and/or sheave damage.

10. wt31234

wt31234 LawnSite Member

I would appreciate the NAPA bearing crossover for the 1-513016 spindle bearings that you used.