1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hummingbird

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Grn Mtn, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

so i'm on lawnsite this morning and something catches my eye out the window... holy crap its a hummingbird at the cardnal flower! honey where the hell is the camera? right in front of you dear! :laugh:

anyway i was so excited about the bird i only got a few lousy picts.

hummingbird_cardnalflower.jpg

hummingbird_tikiumbrella.jpg

2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Very cool, the pics are good

3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I feed the Hummingbirds all summer. Just get yourself a liquid feeder and boil one cup of water a add a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar. DO NOT USE THE RED DIE TYPE OF FOOD, it will kill them. Sugar turns to alcohol and this disorients them and kills them. Just be sure to clean the feeder well once a week. Its easy, I do it for the wife and kids, they love it. I guarantee you will see one at the feeder every five minutes. We also plant flowers to attact them..

4. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

So.. you're killing the hummingbirds?

5. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Plenty of Hummingbirds here in NJ.
    What a cool bird.
    Didnt know how many until we put out our first feeder, now we have three feeders. They actually hover around the windows if we forget to fill the feeders.

6. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I guess for some you really have to use special ed!!
    Each week you have to change and clean the feeder before the sugar turns to alocohol..If the sugar is left to long then there is a chance you can kill them, basically getting them drunk. I have used the same measurement all summer, I boil 1 cup of water and mix 1/2 of cup of sugar. And it is useuall empty in 4-5 days and then I clean it out. So no I am not killing them..

7. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I will match you pics....I have a few that frequently visit my home.....I just haven't been quick enough to snap any pics....good job....

8. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

:cool:really good pics:cool:
    i cant wait to see the fall colors. i love taking pictures with my trusty old canon AE-1 SLR camera imo you cant beat the flim cameras:dancing: :headphones:

9. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the Humzinger feeders, the easiest to clean and the birds love them and it doesn't hold so much that it turns. Have you ever seen a Hummingbird moth? it looks like a hummingbird, had one flying around my petunias after sunset which I knew couldn't be a H, bird, google it and see what it looks like.
    Dave