Hungry rabbits.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Apr 28, 2007.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

Rabbits are targeting several homes here. Not our installs. We bury our stuff.

These homes have exposed manifolds and associated wiring. Rabbits have completely eaten the wiring. What happened to carrots??? We can continue to repair $$$$
    as the customer does not want to spend the money to bury the valves.

We winterize using manual activation on these properties so are resistant to wire covers. We are looking for options to keep the rabbits off the wiring.

Thanks for all the help,

John

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

im just taking a stab but i would research what they are repelled against and utulizt said mterial..

i would love to see what the dogs bark back for this response....
    im guessing Strict 9....you must bury the valves..thats where i would start...take a piss in the box while you do the turn on..JK...

good luck buddy!

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Wild Rabbits or just your typical scourge of a few escaped domestic rabbits turning into thousands of rabbits in the neighborhood?

Have you considered just telling the customers to call pest control?

4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Get some cages and relocate them.

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Put a sign up: "Rabbits... $150 each" and someone will steal/shoot them in no time flat.

6. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

About once a year I end up with a customer that's had field mice get into a valve box. They eat all the insulation off the wires and then use the wires to sharpen their teeth. You can't imagine the electrical headaches this causes.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

A few years back we had a pet rabbit as a indoor pet. We had housetrained it and it was pretty much like a cat to us.

However, it would always chew on our wires. It somehow knew the difference between the 110v power cord to the tv, and the audio cables. Time and time again I'd replace a cable that it had ruined and wonder why it didn't just chew into a power line.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Silly rabbit...

All you would of needed to stop him would have been an Elmer Fudd action hero strategically placed in the house. :laugh:

9. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

It's not just wires that squirrels and rats sharpen their teeth on around here, I've seen flow control handles on valves rasped away to stubs.

Also one R-50 rotor cap to the point it leaked out in several spots around the edges...Lots of 1800 shrub adapters too....alll tiny tooth marks..

Rodents teeth continue to grow and must be sharpened...

10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Try building a box around the valves?