Hunter ACC Controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mx315, Oct 10, 2011.

1. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

I just took over a commercial property with a 2 wire Hunter ACC controller with errors for almost every decoder on the system. It's plugged into a GFI outdoor receptacle and it was tripped the first time I looked at it. I reset and tried to run the zones manually but the decoder errors started popping up. What should I be looking at first to start in the right direction?

2. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

A map of the decoder locations
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Can you bypass the GFI?

4. mx315

mx315 LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure. May be able to direct wire it into the circuit. Do GFI's cause voltage problems with the ACC?

5. Mike Leary

I don't know, exactly, but GFI circuits have been a huge problem for me, especially since I take it you're running double clocks off the same outlet? Providing clean power would be the first place I'd start.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  6. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

What are the decoders errors?
    Communications errors?
    Over/underflow errors?

I have a copy of the troubleshooting guide for ACC decoders.
    Send me a PM if you need it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  7. 2 wire controllers doesn't mean 2 controllers Mike. (I know you know that but speed reading is contagious to your health.)

Knowing nothing about 2 wire I would TS this way.

Have a properly wired decoder valve that I can wire into the controller as an additional valve at the controller. If it has the error reading then I'd TS from the controller back. If it works okay then I'd TS from the controller out.

8. Mike Leary

Yes, I read it too fast, I'd still check the primary.

9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

first thing to look for is grounding rods/plates. if that system took a hit it could be big $ especially if you don't know where the valves are :-(

10. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

I would ignore the GFI issue, for the time being, and figure out what the decoder errors are.
    The GFI issue could be as simple as an outlet exposed to weather or a sprinkler.
    Even a dead short on the wire path should not cause the GFI to trip as the ACC would recognize the fault and shut down the power to the two wire path(s).

I just worked on an ACC last week that was kicking out underflow alarms. Come to find out the master valve was not opening when the system came on, which in turn caused the underflow condition.