Hunter ACC-D

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BrandonV, Aug 7, 2007.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey guys, I impatiently waiting on a ACC decoder style hunter clock to get to me for a house I'm working on. Has anyone else been able to get their hands on these things? I've been waiting for like 2 weeks... just put the wire in today, and hunter next day air'd that because they made a mistake. I've never used one before but have read the manual through and am trying to plug alond w/o the actual clock. Makes me nervous, but I'll get buy. I so far love the wiring we pulled about 2000' of cable to 26 zones in 30mins, that would never happen w/ multistrand. And since this project in is phases I knew the decoder unit (from what I've read) was the way to go. I was just curious if there is anyone else who's installed them, and if so why the heck can't i get one in time?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Shudder...let us know how it works out..this is virgin territory for most of us.

3. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

Look on Hunters website. I would think they would have the instructions there. We have 5 wall mounts and 1 PP in stock....company wide 30+ of these things. But what I do know install everything and then last thing get a decoder of choice...program it to controler then install it. Oh no matter what use the correct DBY-6's for the connection. They are easier then you think. We also started selling the Underhill/Tonic stuff this year. Great stuff so far!

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Is that like a stronger "genie/buc"?

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I think that's "UK Tony's" stuff. It would be ALE. :)

6. The Irritator

The Irritator LawnSite Member

You are going to love the system. We just finished our 3rd one.

Make sure you ground according to Hunter's specs.

7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

I love it just reading the manual... at least I can keep myself and the crew occupied glueing pipe and now setting heads. so far we've installed 65 hunter 12" fixed sprays, 60 12" high pop rotors and 50 6" rotors... fun fun fun and of course its 100? but I am at least getting to use my new trench backfiller (now favorite toy) and so far 5500' of sch 40 and no leaks !yeah! though the well pump we installed has been a bit of a problem in way of wiring, but everything is cool now.

8. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

When you say you pulled 2000' of wire in 30 mins, are you saying you pulled the wire in the ground with a plow? I learned that you should never pull two-wire due to the constant voltage on the two-wire path, one small knick in the insulation of the wire will cause a complete break in a very short period of time (the wire will burn itself in half).

Also, did you leave any provisions for trouble shooting? I have found it very useful to leave a coil of wire long enough to get at least 24" above the ground to aid in troubleshooting at each decoder and splice. Double-check all of your splices, this is where we have found the most issues on systems we have taken over maintenance on.

9. The Irritator

The Irritator LawnSite Member

Use a bigger bullet.

10. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

Said the guy in Florida where the soil is like sugar.

I always wondered why most of the irrigation is above ground even though the ground is so soft?