Hunter at Home Depot

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Jul 5, 2010.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Nothing cures a case of hippie hopefulness faster than reading a post on politics by Peter first thing in the morning :laugh:

2. Stay thirsty my friend.

3. irrig8r

I think that's a bit unfair Dan. They went out and bought the original MP Rotator. Rain Bird responded with a (slightly) inferior imitation.

When manufacturers compete as much as Rain Bird/ Hunter/ Toro, I think we often (not always) benefit from those tweaks that come with imitations that end up being real improvements.

4. irrig8r

That was kind of my reaction. I didn't take photos, but I will show those posted to the local Ewing manager... not that it will make much difference of course.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I think list price on the MPs is $9.25, and I just charge $9.00 for 24 of them at one house. But now when they see the $4.98 price, they are going to scream. Haven't used much Hunter lately anyway. I think 1-2 cases of PGPs max, and only when it is a PGP system already. A few replacement diaphragms, and those MPs.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

fifteen bucks for a rotator payup

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I would have normally charged more than $9, but I did a bunch of other work for him and still made some good coin.

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

home depot gives me the heebeejeebees

9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

When I go into HD, I always look around in my truck for a spare shirt to wear over my company shirt. I don't want customers in there thinking I shop for parts there (I don't except for the occasional odd ball part or copper pipe and fittings), and I don't want them asking me questions either. Had it happen once and I now try to avoid it.

10. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually... no... Rain Bird introduced their rotary nozzle and then Hunter went and bought MP Rotator.