1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hunter Controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by hdbluedeuce, Sep 28, 2006.

1. hdbluedeuce

hdbluedeuce LawnSite Member

I have a customer with a Hunter Pro C controller. Everything seems to work fine on the controller with the exception that it sometimes "ignores" start time settings and comes on at random times. The clock is working, you can manually start any and all zones, etc. But it just will not come on at the designated start times on a regular basis (sometimes it does, more often latley it does not).

Any ideas of how to troubleshoot this, or is it time to replace the controller?
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Have you rebooted the controller?
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

A "hard" reset should fix the problem. The Pro-C seems a little bit prone to power surges. The become "possessed". If you can't get the controller to reset to factory defaults and then re-program, it is toast. I have had ICC's, Pro-C's, and SRC's all do this. Sometimes, they will even run in the "off" position. Watch for wierd years (2046 or similar), watch for modules being recognized that aren't there, or I just love it when the clock says it is 25:xx.

This sounds like I'm being negative, but actually the number of failures aren't that high. I do enjoy electrical storms more now that I service so many Pro-C's :)payup

On the flip side, I think the Hunter controllers have the best revival rate after a surge of anything I've seen in a solid state controller!
  4. hdbluedeuce

hdbluedeuce LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information guys. I have completed a hard reset (the first few times I tried it, it would not rest, then a few days later, the reset took). Sounds like there may be unrecoverable issues.

Does anyone know how long the warranty is on the Pro C controller?
  5. 2 years on the Pro-c
    I had one that always showed the date on every setting, tried three hard resets with no luck. Replaced it with a new clock and went back to JDL and was going to show them the problem. It was in my truck over the weekend and when I plugged it back in at JDL it was working fine but they still gave me a new unit.
  6. Hank Reardon

Hank Reardon LawnSite Senior Member

We all need a couple of days off from time to time. :)
  7. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

An old timer once told me, "Sometimes it just needs a good leavin' alone."

Back when I was working for a supply house in San Antonio, contractors would call with the "it isn't working" for controllers. They would take it off the wall, bring it in several days later, and it would work properly. Warrantied them and sent 'em back to factory.