Hunter Controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ZX12R, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Some of the older Hunter controllers had some dial issues, but nothing that took much effort to get around.

2. No Pigtail? It would hang down and cover up those 45s. Being pissy about looks at the controller doesn't make for a good system. Its whats in the yard that matters. Myself I would have used that gray flexible conduit with a couple of c clamps. I'm curious though does that controller come with an external 24v adapter? Is that zone wire in the conduit? Or did you run both and pop out somewhere near an outlet?

I'm in the Boots camp on doors. Every controller should have a door with basic instructions.

3. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

When that Hunter breaks in 6 months upgrade to a Rain Bird ESP modular :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

The Custom Command is a good clock, a Toro clone of the Hardie Total Control.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

They're okay, and not so very different from the ESP-TMP series in looks

6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

xc , not remote compatable, next.

7. MEXANDME

MEXANDME LawnSite Senior Member

I had a teacher once that said "if you cannot handle the answer....don't ask the question!"

8. Did hunter get their remote problem solved?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. GreenLight

GreenLight LawnSite Senior Member

The controller he has is actually remote compatible. X Core is the updated version of the xc and has remote capabilities.

For the original post, the X Core isn't a terrible controller. In fact they seem a bit more reliable than rainbird's old doorless esp-tm controllers. It's a bare bones controller, but for a homeowner it's easy to program and for $45.00 if you get 4 years out of it, that's not a bad investment.

I have never fully understood why the little controllers get the lithium ion battery (which I thought was a better back up memory battery) and the big boys use a 9volt.

10. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Now that was a piece of junk, and I'm a RB fan. I can't tell you how often I've come across those with the "jiggly" dial problem. I've probably encountered and replaced more of those because of defects than any other controller.

To the OP, the X-Core is a fine controller. It wouldn't be my first choice but I'd prefer it over any of the box store stuff and it has the benefit of supporting the Solar Sync and being remote capable.