Lawn Care Forum banner

Hunter Controller

11K views 68 replies 19 participants last post by  S.O.Contracting 
#1 ·
I have a Toro Custom Command controller for my front yard and all the beds on my property. I am adding zones for the rear property and decided to buy a Hunter Controller the other day.

It's an X-Core....model #XC-800-I. I was surprised how small it is.It's about 6" wide and 6" tall. It may not be the top of the line,but,it should suit my needs just fine. Anyone here using it and if so,whats your opinion of it?

Attached is a pic of it installed in my shed.

Electrical wiring Material property Circuit component Gas Font

See less See more
#11 ·
maybe not in NJ, but they sell Toro controllers for certain, and one of the features of the stuff I install is that controllers have a cover with the operating instructions on the inside, which is something they might not find at a home center
That Hunter controller I have is an indoor model.The same controller in an "outdoor" model.does come with a cover. I guess Hunter sees no need for a cover on indoor models,but,I do see your point as a professional selling to a homeowner,where they will most likley need a manual close by.

#12 ·
an outdoor X-Core controller, with a cover, is about $20 more, which is a lot to pay for something I got gratis with the SRC controllers

I don't think it is junk. I think it looks junky, which is their transparent motivation for me to install the Pro-C controllers instead.

#16 ·
X Cores are ok for entry level, but it looks naked without a cover. As already stated there is a quick guide on the inside of the cover which is useful for homeowners. I have replaced 2 of them at jobs in the past 6 months where they were not working. One had power supply issues, and the other one the dial would not move to the correct setting. I turned the dial to set the time etc and nothing happened. I had to jiggle it to get it to work.

#18 ·
X Cores are ok for entry level, but it looks naked without a cover. As already stated there is a quick guide on the inside of the cover which is useful for homeowners. I have replaced 2 of them at jobs in the past 6 months where they were not working. One had power supply issues, and the other one the dial would not move to the correct setting. I turned the dial to set the time etc and nothing happened. I had to jiggle it to get it to work.
I think all controllers with a dial will have a possibilty of that "have to jiggle" problem. Jiggle-free dials cost real money.

#19 ·
Damn,I take my box burning statement back.:laugh: Well,if I do have problems,the supply house will take it back no problem,even without the box. We shall see what happens down the road.

#22 ·
No Pigtail? It would hang down and cover up those 45s. Being pissy about looks at the controller doesn't make for a good system. Its whats in the yard that matters. Myself I would have used that gray flexible conduit with a couple of c clamps. I'm curious though does that controller come with an external 24v adapter? Is that zone wire in the conduit? Or did you run both and pop out somewhere near an outlet?

I'm in the Boots camp on doors. Every controller should have a door with basic instructions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.