Hunter ESP-Li question/wiring

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by sjz60, Aug 9, 2003.

1. sjz60

sjz60 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a sprinkler system using an 8 Zone ESP controller and rain sensor installed. Works fine as best I can tell. The other nite I got awakened by a tapping sound, sounded like my zone valves were being operated. I found my Esp controller in its normal position (on-but program was not running). Outsize, one of my zones was up an running, and i heard some valve chatter.

We had a lot of rain in this time period. I figured that my rain sensor was doing it, maybe that water had seeped back into the control box..but I saw no signs of water in the ESp controller. I removed rain sensor and wiring.

I also noted that the valve box that houses the valve for the zone that I found running was full of water from recent rain. I have silicone wire nuts on the wiring connections, however these are not taped up and 100% waterproof.

If my ESP controller was in its normal (on) position, but the timer was not set to be turned on...is there current going outside to the solenoids that open the valves?..that would allow a short circuit to occur if the connections were wet? This is weird. My box is wired up per the wiring diagram from Rain Bird.

or did something really go wrong with the rain senson (i had a drip loop in this wiring and it was installed per the instructions).

any help is appreciated.

2. jasond

jasond LawnSite Member

It sounds like the valve solenoid might have failed. If the box is full of water, pump it out and see if the valve is leaking. Second, turn the system off and see if it is still running. The solenoid might have failed due to any lightning in the area. Here in NC that is a common problem.

To repair, just pull the solenoid off of the valve (Hunter I am assuming) and replace with another (use a Heavy Duty if possible). Your looking at maybe 10 bucks, plus jelly nuts (waterproof connectors)

3. sjz60

sjz60 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

<<It sounds like the valve solenoid might have failed. If the box is full of water, pump it out and see if the valve is leaking. Second, turn the system off and see if it is still running. The solenoid might have failed due to any lightning in the area. Here in NC that is a common problem.

To repair, just pull the solenoid off of the valve (Hunter I am assuming) and replace with another (use a Heavy Duty if possible). Your looking at maybe 10 bucks, plus jelly nuts (waterproof connectors)>>

Well, I hear what you are saying..thanks for the help, but this wasn't it..

If it was a solenoid, dont they fail closed?

The water in the box was from heavy rain, not a leaking valve.

Anyway, the problem was in the controller..the ESP instructions were not clear as to which way to wire up (the diagram makes it seem like the hot and common wire positions dont matter.) In fact, their position does matter. If wired 'backward', current is permitted to travel from the source out to the solenoid.

When the water was introduced, their was a 'short', that allowed the circuit to close, and thus (intermittantly) operate the solenoid..hence the hammering sound.

Solution was to switch the wires around at the connection points in the box. Other smart move would be to tape up the connections at the solenoid, over top of silicone wire nuts, just to make it really water proof.

Thanks for the help.

4. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

electrical tape does not water proof anything. it will keep the wires from getting wet if sprayed but not if submerged. It doenst matter how tight you make the tape its not water proof. Water proof wire nuts are the only way.