1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hunter I-20 Repair

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bsoneill, Jun 23, 2007.

1. bsoneill

bsoneill LawnSite Member

I have a hunter I-20 which doesn't seem to adjust the arc. No matter how I adjust the arc clockwise or counter clockwise, it continues to rotate 360. I was going to take it apart to see if a gear is shot or something. I know I can unscrew the head from the housing, and removing the filter, but I am not sure how to do anything else. Can it be taken apart any further? I couldn't find any docs on the Hunter website.

Thanks in advance.
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Bsoneill-Im from the cape btw....

I would just replace it....I see this with a few of them....
    are you by a supplier....worst case i could send you one if you cover shipping..

3. bsoneill

bsoneill LawnSite Member

Thanks. I actually did replace it today. I had an extra one from a different issue which turned out to not be a problem with the head (thanks to the folks on this forum for solving that!). So, now I was going to attempt to repair this one, or at least learn a little more trying to take it apart. I figured why not since it's already "broken".

4. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

Brendan, you right in the city or in the 'burbs?
  5. bsoneill

bsoneill LawnSite Member

I'm in the 'burbs...
  6. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

Is it a 360 head? if so it's not adjustable.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You got a 360 head that had an adjustable cap installed on it.

I see this with PGP's about 1 every 5 cases.
  8. bsoneill

bsoneill LawnSite Member

No, it't not a 360 head. I'm pretty sure it was user error. I was trying to make a slight adjustment to the arc and next thing I knew it would only go 360. I think I broke something inside. I've made many adjustments in the past, so I am familiar in how to adjust the heads- not sure what happened this time. So I replaced it (since I had an extra one) and the system is all set, but I wanted to take this one apart to see what happened.

9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We run into this too on occasion with the I-20s. Just an assembly error but Hunter is always glad to hear from us on these types of issues.
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

When re-adjusting I-20s that have been in the ground for some time I'll turn down the Flow Stop a little, cup my hand over the water stream and force some of the water into the arc adjustment opening. This can free up dirt/debris that might be blocking the adjuster area. Sometimes the dirt will pack into this area and then when the key is turned it just snaps the adjusting rod (or whatever they call it). If you do manage to get the whole thing torn apart you'll probably just find a piece of broken plastic.