Hunter I-40's stop turning

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Puttinggreens, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Puttinggreens

Puttinggreens LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from southeast PA

Just took over a soccer complex this week. Can't be more than 5 years old. Checked out the irrigation system thourghly and found 7 of the 32 hunter I-40's are not turning at all. Pressure is more than adequate. This seems awlful high to me.

Anyone else have problems with the I-40's. Most of my work involves the I-20's and 25's.

Thanks for your ideas.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Have you done the typical cure for hunter rotors? (Stomp on the head a few times and readjust :D)

3. Puttinggreens

Male, from southeast PA

Haven't tried that yet. I'm more inclined to replace them.

If a head stops turning once it is likely to stop again in the future. I am managing the turf on the fields. Not mowing, just everything else. A head that is not reliable is a big problem. I am just surprised so many stopped turning.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

A quick glance at the Hunter website shows that the I-40's have what they call a "vstator". This means you don't have to dissasemble the head to change the stator ring.

The wording on the website makes it sound like this is a new development, so perhaps these older I-40's (I don't use them so I wouldn't know), have actual stator rings.

Perhaps they are warped?

5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

The V-stator stands for "variable" and has been around since the sprinkler's inception. The stator that the water goes through accepts any amount of water associated with any size nozzle. This was a plus as compared to what was considered the Mercedes of large field sprinklers of the time, the Toro 640. With the 640 every time you changed the nozzle size the stator had to be changed to match the nozzle or the thing wouldn't rotate. That coupled with the 640 only popping up 3-1/2", being almost 40% more expensive than the I-40, no adjustable arcs (preset arcs by degrees) and the motor (sans nozzle/stator, body) costing almost as much as an entire I-40 are many of the reasons we switched over twelve years ago. However, we still have 640's in the ground that are working fine after almost 20 years of service.

6. PurpHaze

Are these plastic risers or ADS/36S stainless steel risers? We use nothing but SS. I've seen them occasionally stop rotating but not that many in a system. Ours are usually caused by sand grit impacting the riser. It'll grind (even on SS) to the point that the sprinkler starts slowing down at first and then stops rotating alltogether. I've found that the biggest problem pertaining to any sprinkler losing its rotation is incorrect height in the ground. As soil builds up on the sprinkler it affects the riser and then will stop rotating.

7. PurpHaze

That's our standard #1 maintenance step when dealing with Toro 300 Stream Rotors. LOL :blob3:

8. PurpHaze

Got to work and thought of another thing that could stop the rotation. Check and see if there is debris such as sand, rust or calcium buildup in the filter. Once the filter is sufficiently blocked the decrease in water causes the rotor to stop rotating.

9. Puttinggreens

Male, from southeast PA

The heads are SS. I too have seen the problem of soil building up, but like I said earlier, my experience is with I-25 and 20's. But rarely stopping the rotation.

That said, I will pull a few heads on Friday and check the strainers. About three of the working heads appear have the volume of water reduced by 50 - 60%. I was planning on checking those particular strainers, but now that you mention it I will check the non rotating ones as well.

Thank you for your input.

10. PurpHaze

The I-20s/I-25s/I-40s are basically all related. Although the nozzles may be different and inlet sizes differ from 3/4"-1" they are basically a similar design. When you remove the first I-40 you'll note that the filter screen looks exactly like a larger I-20. Also, the I-40s and I-25s use the same bucket, thus are interchangeable if you watch radius and GPM. I've also been successful using an I-20 or I-25 in an I-40 zone where I need a "makeup" sprinkler to fill a gap due to some layout quirk.