Hunter I-Spray w/ AAN

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Aug 21, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Although we've switched over to the Hunter Institutional Sprays and are using their AANs (adjustable arc nozzles) for our particular needs this is the first time I've actually taken a picture of one in action. (Been using a lot of them on MP-Rotator installs and renovations lately.)

This one's an INST-06-CV with a 12' AAN from a repair job today where the zone sat dead for at least the past three months and possibly for the entire season. Although we (me, Leo and our boss) knew the zone wasn't working and this zone is right in front of the Adult Education School we didn't budge in taking care of the problem UNTIL the site finally put in a work order. (We've had real problems with this site NOT putting in work orders.)

What I'm amazed at is the pattern. It looks alot like streams within a spray which can be seen in the picture. The angle is great, nearer a traditional angle than the flat Toro TVAN trajectory I'd gotten accustomed to. Noticed when we had the zone on with a bit of breeze blowing that existing TVANs were drifting a little while these weren't. I don't know if the streams stabilize the spray or not but was quite impressed by the coverage from the 12' nozzle.

PETER: On a different note I looked for excessive flush-by and didn't observe any on the 6" models we used today as compared to the 12" I-Sprays you used at the arboretum. These had a normal amount of flushing and immediately popped up.

Hunter INST-06-CV and AAN IV-01.jpg

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I have to say, that's a nice pattern....I like color scheme too..Purp.:)

3. PurpHaze

I tore a Hunter AAN and a Toro TVAN apart today to see what the difference was in the nozzles. I discovered that the TVAN is smooth on the inside while the Hunter nozzle has tiny ridges molded onto the upper half's underside. It must be these ridges (with accompanying grooves between them) that create the spray pattern. I still have not been able to find any info on the Hunter site explaining the reasoning for this but I remember our rep stating that they were reworking all the spray nozzles so maybe this is the result.

4. PurpHaze

Purple and green mixed with some black and brown. It will all mean some very green grass shortly. :)

5. Interesting. I assume all the water at the head base is flushing the head clean water? i'll pick up some of the Hunter adj and Henry and I will compare opinions. He likes adjs so his opinion might be more valid. i would be digging my knife into a head with all those streams thrying to clean it out and make the spray pretty.

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Peter, if thats the amount of water that comes out a hunter head when flushing, I'm glad I always used Rainbird sprays.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, we are all ''thrying''.....:)

8. well I looked it up. Definitely not a word but I'm sure you have thried before.

9. PurpHaze

It's just the buildup of water gloss on the muddy area from digging and having the zone on quite some time over a long period of time doing repairs. Leo and I specifically looked for excessive flush and didn't find any. We had plenty of seal problems from existing Toro 570s because the Bermuda roots had totally invaded their nozzles, heads and risers due to the zone being out of commission for so long. Was a good excuse to just go ahead and replace them with the I-Sprays since they weren't even the Toro PRX-COM type that we tried for awhile before becoming overly frustrated with the flush cap situation.

It would be interesting. I noted that those areas of the zone (zone is over 150' long) where we'd replaced quite a few sprinklers to the I-Sprays tended to put down the water much more evenly. Might just be my imagination though.

LOL... know what you mean. But it's not quite so obvious with the naked eye... not like a sand pebble creating the streams we all know and love.

One thing I have noted with both the Hunter and Toro adjustable spray nozzles is that if a tiny bit of debris DOES lodge in the nozzle opening creating the telltale streams, opening the adjustment allows more water to go through and clean out the nozzle. Then you just readjust and all is well since the debris has been dislodged.

10. PurpHaze

Here's what some of the Toro fixed-spray nozzles looked like. The roots in some cases were so matted that sprinklers wouldn't pop up through the root mass. We took old screwdrivers and used them to pry the root mass off the tops of the sprinklers. Some then began to work well while others we just changed out. We would not of put so much effort into this zone had we not been using a remote. :)

Clogged Toro Fixed-Spray Nozzles.jpg