Hunter ICC/ACC/ICR???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Nov 15, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone have any experience with these "commercial" controllers and the remote system? Good vs. bad???

Now that I only have one remaining RainBird TBOS system in the district I'll have room shortly for an ICR remote system in my weatherproof case (right next to my Eicon and Hunter WVP). I'm wanting to try out the ACC on a site in order to check out its performance along with the ICR remote. I like the Smart Port idea for hooking up the remote receiver (probably will go with the shielded harness) and it seems to have advantages over the Irritrol MC-Plus/Eicon remote system we've been using for years.

The major drawback on the Irritrol systems is that it seems next to impossible to get them to respond as to where I can purchase the Adapt-1 that runs between the circuit board and the external port. You cannot seem to purchase it through Irritrol and I'm tired of having my questions go unanswered. Hunter doesn't have this problem since they market everything for their Smart Port system and it matches up with their own remote transmitter.

2. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

We won a bid a couple seasons ago for an entryway into a softball complex with 12 fields, the fields system had a RCBI for each field and a remote system with it that didn't work, I am pretty sure it was the tbos system.

As an extra, we switched out the BI's to ICC's and "threw in" a remote for the controllers the maintenance crew loves it, I believe it has a 2 mile range and the city even had us change over a bunch of other systems in the city to ICC's just for the remote. We haven't had ANY bad experiences with it.

3. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

The ICR is the best remote on the market that I have seen we have 7 units.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

they are awesome... the remote is the reason we switched to hunter they rock

5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

It is also the reason we prefer Hunter timers, even if we install Rain Bird we will 9 out of 10 times install with a Hunter controller.

6. PurpHaze

Thanks guys. Looks like it's all positive comments up to this time.

7. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

What about adapting to an existing system? Using existing wiring to use the ICC with its' two wire setup? Or can we use existing wiring with the ICC and use their valves?

Thanks,

John

8. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

The Eicon company has been owned by Toro for a couple of years. Irritrol is owned by Toro but none of the "different branches" seem to work together very well a far as product support.:dizzy: As far as hunter stuff it seems to work very well. Only draw back as you know is it only works with hunter stuff. Sounds like a good way to sell a controller. It will help in the long run.

9. PurpHaze

We went out Friday and purchased the standard 12 station ACC and three extra 6 station modules so the controller has 30 station capability. We also purchased the ICR kit with the transmitter and receiver that plugs into the Smart Port. We'll use this controller to replace two controllers at a nearby middle school after the holidays. We're moving the two controllers and I figured it would be a good time to consolidate and install the one ACC. That way it'll be close and we can keep an eye on things. We'll see how the remote works with the ACC also. If all goes well after a period of time we may then think about changing our specs to the ACC. However, I'll probably be retired before all the existing Irritrols are converted over since we have 100+ of them in the district.

10. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

PurpHaze
    If I remember you can put a flow sensor on it and it will tell you real time GPM. Not the flow click. You can go as far as IMMS...it has a module to plug in to the controller.