Hunter ICC Controller

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Faulted1, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Faulted1

Faulted1 LawnSite Member

I am looking for help installing 2 ICC controllers on 1 system. The system also is designed for one master valve.

First part:
    Do I need 2 separate wiring systems for each controller? Do I need one common wire for each system or one common wire? How do I hook up one master valve? I need to hook it up to both controllers. Therefore one common wire for both systems. Right????

Second part:
    I am also installing some quick coupler on the main line but unless I can activate the master valve there will be no water. Can I cross connect the master valve as a station also? I could manually start the station from the controller and all that would happen would be to activate the master valve and the quick couplers.

Is all of this doable?
    Thanks in advance for your responses

Faulted1

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Can you elaborate as in why you need to do this? It may help me come up with an alternate solution that may be more cost effective for you.

3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

One master valve for a two controller system? The designer is asking for problems if the water supply is not big enough to handle two valves running at the same time.

Having two controllers run one master valve can be done but it takes phsing the transformers, and there is a little electronic relay/switch board that allows multiple power sources to energize a device (valve solenoid) without bleeding power back through the the wiring to each of the controllers.

Why are there two controllers? Especially since the ICC expands to 42 stations.

You could also make a parallel master valve set-up using two valves at the POC/backflow and run one off of each controller without having electrical problems.

Jerry

4. Faulted1

Faulted1 LawnSite Member

Thank you for your replys
    Let me explain more:
    I need the extra programs. I am limited to 12.5 gpm and using MP rotator heads on 0.5 acres. They will only produce .4 inches per hour and I have 9 MP zones. If each zone worked for an hour that would be 9 hours and less than 1/2 inch of water. I could split it into 3 programs but then I only have 1 program for drip. I want one daily program for annuals and pots and another for shrubs. I need more programs not more stations! Can you expand on the phasing of transformers? I could run parallel master vales but this seems unnecessary, but maybe the best solution. I only want 1 program to run at a time so if I installed 2 master valves, I only have enough water for 1 station at a time. What I really want is to expand the number of programs since I certainly could add enough stations on a single ICC controller.

Faulted1

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No way do you need two controllers for half an acre if you have over 12 gpm to work with. Even in the sandiest soil, you can make things work. What is the flow rate on your drip? If it is high enough that it can't run concurrently with the lawn sprinklers, then schedule it like you would a lawn sprinkler zone. You get four separate programs on the ICC, which would allow two different lawn programs, and two different drip programs. If two hours isn't enough for your drip zone for annuals, assign another controller zone to that valve, and double your watering time.

6. Faulted1

Faulted1 LawnSite Member

Help me out then...

You say to use 2 programs for the lawn. 9 zones for the lawn. 5 on 1 program and 4 on the other. I believe it's best to water less often but deeper. I want to put out at least 0.5 inches per water cycle. This requires 1 hour 15 minutes per station (0.4" per hour). Multiply this times 5 zones and that's over 6 hours. Start at 4 am (to minimize the chance for foliar disease) and the program does end till 10:15 am. So much for a shower before work in the morning!

Faulted1

7. Wet_Boots

Oh, you're worried about lawn disease? Then you want to do all your watering after sunrise, so that the sprinklers wash the dew off the plants. Talk to your water provider, and have a new supply hookup laid in for feeding just your sprinkler system. Then you can run all your lawn zones simultaneously. Wasteful? Sure, but it achieves the maximum of disease avoidance.

What some folks don't seem to consider is that there were sprinkler systems before the invention of multi-program digital controllers, and that 'technically incorrect' sprinkler zones tossed water on both lawn and shrubs simultaneously, and did it starting around midnight, or earlier. And those were the best-looking lawns in town.

Somewhere, a Hunter rep might be reading this thread, and rooting you on to get that extra controller. You don't need it. Your landscaping doesn't need it. But this is America, so go right ahead and 'supersize it'

8. Faulted1

Faulted1 LawnSite Member

Great solution except to get the new water tap is 10 times the price of an extra controller and extra master valve.

9. jeffinsgf

jeffinsgf LawnSite Senior Member

Is this .5 acres all in tight little areas? I am asking why you're using MP rotators for a lawn area instead of rotor heads. A rotor would solve your problem of not having enough time to get the watering done. My non-professional opinion is that you are designing yourself into some serious problems when you start trying to run one system with two controllers, and I still don't see how it is going to get you what you need -- more time.

I believe wet boots was being sarcastic. His meaning was to water all night, disregarding the sanctity of the Holy 4am start time.

Which brings to mind -- if every system in a subdivision comes on at 4am, what must the pressure drop be like? :D

10. Wet_Boots

Oh, is money a factor? Then program the controller like plain folks do, and don't torture yourself over potential lawn diseases. I saw numerous sprinkler systems begin operation in the early evening, the worst possible time, if you believe what you read, and nary a problem. They picked that time to start because they were older systems that they didn't trust to work unobserved.

The theoretical perfection you're after can't be had in many states, because they have watering restrictions that allow sprinkler usage only on certain days of the week, or on odd or even numbered days, matching the house number. And again, the lawns look just fine, even if they have to start the sprinkler cycle at midnight or earlier.