Hunter Micro-Spray Conversion

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Apr 2, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Started work today on converting our last drip system in the district. We pulled out all the PE and are in the process of converting to hardpipe and the Hunter Pro-Spray 6" bodies with Micro-Spray nozzles. We completed the first section and it's working quite well. What made it easier is that 15 years ago when we originally installed the drip we hardpiped to each section and then converted to PE via tees to water each section. Here's some pics.

Crestwood Hunter Micro-Spray Convert IV-01.jpg

Crestwood Hunter Micro-Spray Convert IV-02.jpg

Crestwood Hunter Micro-Spray Convert IV-03.jpg

Crestwood Hunter Micro-Spray Convert IV-04.jpg

Crestwood Hunter Micro-Spray Convert IV-05.jpg

2. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Damn, I hate to see anyone using side inlets.... mind you, you don't have the winterization issues that we do...

3. Hayes,
    How comparable are these Hunter micro's to R.B's xeri sprays.

Do the nozzles itself retract completly....haven't seen any micro's from hunter at Ewing, JDL or Horizon. Horizon pushes the Xeri nozzles from R.B.

As always, good looking work......even if it's my tax dollars at work:)

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How are those nozzles materially different from the smallest ordinary spray nozzles, with radii as small as 5 feet?

5. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Why did the drip fail?

6. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

I probably should know this but I'm drawing a blank. What does PE stand for?

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

PolyEthylene

8. PurpHaze

All the trenches are being hand dug (too many plants and the "main lateral" runs through the sections) so we're going only as deep as necessary. :)

9. PurpHaze

I've never used the Rainbird xeri sprays so I can't say. We've tried the Rainbird spray nozzle that accepts the Hardie Maxi-Jet but they stick up and easily break off. Not worth it.

The nozzles themselves have a spring in them and retract also. When the sprinkler riser goes down the whole unit is flush just like a spray head.

We aim for the long haul. :laugh:

10. PurpHaze

Guess it depends on which 5' nozzle you want to compare them to. Smaller orifices that put out small GPM. At 40 PSI they put out: quarter = .14 GPM; half = .28 GPM; full = .56 GPM. Guess you'd also have to compare precipitation rates.

I'm only working with a 3/4" CL 200 "main lateral" but I'll be able to get all three sections completed under my 10 GPM target. The first section has six sprinklers in it and I've only used 1.28 GPM so far.