hunter or rainbird gears? (did search)

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RedWingsDet, May 24, 2008.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I am not a fan of Maxi's, to many problems here in MI. People have Maxi's in beds with mulch, dirt, pine needles, etc., you know the story there. So I try to convince all my service customers to switch from impacts to gear driven. Anyway, I always use pgp's, but I also realize many of the pgp's after a year or two leak (manufacture issue perhaps, like the irritrol swing pipe defect).

My question is which is better rb gears or hunter gears?

I am not a fan or RB (for heads), but thats just me. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks!

BTW: I did do a search and all I found was gear vs impact. Not rb vs hunter.

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I like the pgp....you should document the issues you are having with the hunters!

It seems that they are having issues people aren't talking about...anyhow, Have you looked into the stream rotors..I love them for watering beds gardens....they aren't to much in 1 spot...

check into it Toro 300 series....Great head...It was generations before the mp rotor..
    Actually I'm doing a job with Stream rotors this week...Pics as par the course will be posted...

3. Hunter has a pgp that replaces the maxi paw by going into its body. If it works makes for a quick change out. I've never used just saw it in their catalog.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

A Maxipaw might outlive either mfr's gear drive, if you keep them in the lawn areas, and installed a tad above grade, in kind of the same way that Hunter suggests for their PGPs, etc.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

As long as you have plenty of pressure & gpm, they are the best!
    Cool to watch work, like staring at a campfire. :clapping::drinkup:

6. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I beg to differ.... they were entertaining, but not very effective.

Maybe designers just didn't get it, but we worked with some already installed sytems on large sweeping lawn areas in the 80s and they were awful.
    We'd change a nozzle and the brown spot would just move over.

Spacing is critical with them, and when they started out with the 01s, 02s, and 03s there were just no in-betweens. Every installation I ran across was a bad compromise.

Oil bath gear drives would gum up or leak out over time.

I gave the adjustable radius nozzles a shot, but the caps never stayed on for long.

I ended up getting rid of all my leftover inventory and nozzle box via freecycle.com last year.

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

for turf i can see your issues..but when Head to head coverage is not need they are a great head....in the name of the father sun holy spirit

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

when would head to head coverage not be necessary? beds/gardens?

9. CAPT Stream Rotar

BINGO!

And rotAr was his NAME O

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Or in natural/native grass areas that are not typically manicured lawns