1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hunter PGP Head will not retract when zone changes

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by daverupe, Sep 17, 2007.

1. daverupe

daverupe LawnSite Member

I have an irrigation system that is MUCH NICER than the one I had at the old house.

The one problem I have is with one head. It pops up and waters fine, but will not retract when the system changes to a new zone. So the head stays up. All it takes is a very light tap of the foot and it retracts. Does anyone have any idea of what I can do? I've read some forums (not on this site) that say spray a little WD-40. I'm a little reluctant to follow that route and would be worried about some kind of deterioration of the PVC.

Any ideas?
  2. tbettis

tbettis LawnSite Member

WD-40 very lightly. if not have a lsg come out and replace a bad cylinder
  3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the head apart - unscrew the cover and the internals will come out. Then set the internals on a flat surface and depress the spring. Clean the wiper seal area There is probably a small piece of sand or other debris trapped between the flow tube and the wiper seal. Or you can buy another PGP head and swap out the internals.
  4. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

do what jerry said.......how old is the pgp? if its over 3 yrs old or so i would just get another one...this place has good prices on hunter stuff.................www.sprinklerwarehouse.com
  5. Dano50

Dano50 LawnSite Bronze Member

Try using a little Fluid Film. It doesn't dry out like wd-40.