Hunter PGP vs I-20

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Lost Pine, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

Could someone tell me the basic differecce between the PGP and the I-20..? Also, is it worth the difference in price...??

Lost Pine

2. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

More choices in nozzles, including low trajectory and short distance (25' and 18') nozzles, 5 year warranty, ability to shut off an individual head (helps keep you dry while adjusting), and check valve to prevent water from draining out of the line after shutoff. Well worth it in my opinion.

George

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

PGP is more residential (and light commercial) oriented while the I-20 (especially w/ stainless steel riser) is more commercial oriented. Add in the flow stop and check valve as mentioned earlier and they're really similar yet different animals.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

They do have the same gear drive mechanism.

My price difference is only around 2 bucks, we also have it as an option in our bids, put rarely do people choose it.

5. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I've said this before, but I really think the 5 year warranty is window dressing. The homeowner can't realize this warranty, or it requires major hoop jumping to do so. Orbit is offering 7 years now on their PGP equivalent. My observations are not scientific enough to be accurate, but I do get to warranty more I-20's because of the 5 year warranty. I don't see many PGP's that would qualify for warranty if you extended it 5 years (but it's real possible I'm not checking close enough because it is fairly easy to tell if a PGP is less than 2 years old most of the time). There are PGP's out there that have been doing what they do for a VERY long time. How many repair guys that service older Hunter systems can say they have gone a week w/o replacing a PGP with a hard plastic cover? Or better yet, one that still just says "G" type on the top? The non-rubber cover heads have got to be aproaching 20 years if they aren't already there, and a large percentage of them still work.

Yes Jon, this is coming from that Irritrol guy.

I don't think you can say that about the I series heads.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it cost you.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think I may yet have a Series 075 Hunter rotor or two still in service.

7. Dirty Water

I recently replaced about 10 Old G-series...most of them due to trimmer damage.

There are still 60 or so of them still working at the site too.

8. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta love those old plastic diffuser screws with the plastic adjustment tool!!. They were really a ***** to find in the grass when they went on through.

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever hold a PGP and then have it accidentally retract on your hand? You know, that little bit of skin between your thumb and index finger getting pinched in the opening where the nozzle goes? Well, it hurts. But do the same thing with the I-20 and you’ll forget that you’re a Christian.

10. Dirty Water

Try doing that with a I-25...theres a reasion those come with that clip to hold them open while you nozzle them :)

I think the extra thread on the I-20 Cap is because of the stronger spring.