Hunter PGV and Accu-Set

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jryan51, Jun 26, 2007.

1. jryan51

jryan51 LawnSite Member

Hi all,

First, thanks for all the great insight from the posters.

I have reviewed countless posts that have enabled me to make design decisions much easier and hopefully more intelligently as I am new to irrigation.

I was planning on using Hunter PGV 101 MB valves with flow control (1 inch) and the Hunter Accu-Set pressure regulators in order to optimize control per zone. They are shown as compatible for the 1 1/2" and larger.

Can I use these valves with the Accu-Set if I take apart the valve. Screw in the Accu-Set and then reassemble? Currently the Accu-Set can not be threaded onto the valve body as the flow control is in the way.

Thanks,

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You might need to switch to the ICV series, to get the Accu-Set to fit a one-inch valve. You could phone Hunter and ask (1-800-733-2823) ~ Unless you have pressures capable of damaging pipe and heads, you may find the flow control is enough.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You know me, I like to spend the client's money & I've tried the "valve PRV"
    & ripped them out after they failed over the years. It goes back to proper
    zoning..knowing what the PSI/GPM..friction loss..matched heads..if you're
    going to use a low-drain-check (SAM, etc.) friction loss becomes big fun.
    Throttle controls are "fine tuning"..nothing else.:)

4. Wet_Boots

I've used them where there were some some mismatches of flows, and the static pressure was much higher than the mainline's rating. But always as a last resort.

5. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer zones that expect the same pressure and one of these right after the backflow:

[​IMG]

6. Wet_Boots

Heavy losses in those PRVs, and a problem if you don't allow for it. I think the first time I used the Irritrol add-on regulator was on a system that was becoming 'unbalanced' by tying zones together, and adding a new zone from the surplus valve. The PRV goes out, and the regulating master valve goes in. Not perfect, if you set it too low, as it can start to 'hunt'

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Irony, thy name is Hayes.

10. NCStateME

NCStateME LawnSite Member

No, the 1" PGV is NOT compatible with the accuset. There is not enough flow through the diaphragm to the solenoid seat to make it function properly. You are much better off using a pressure reducer at the inlet to the system (As Dirty Water said!!) The 1" ICV will work with an accuset, but most 1" valve pressure regulators don't work real well on low flow, high pressure systems. The diaphragm barely opens and causes chatter and vibration throughout the piping.